Menu

Breaking the Barrier - Lesson Plan?

I bought Breaking the Barrier Spanish, level 1, and it looks great, except it's not really broken into something easy for a homeschooler to use. Can anyone who has used it give an example of how you decide what constitutes a daily lesson and what that looks like for you? French would be fine, too, as the materials are similarly structured.

Thanks!

We did French. I planned 2 weeks for each of the main chapters. We did just a few days each for the introductory lessons. That ends up being about 30 weeks. We found there were some chapters that were harder, had more concepts covered or whatever, and that gave us the flexibility to extend those chapters a little as needed. We also did one week of review after Christmas break.

I'd say it ended up taking about 34 weeks.

We did French. I took 2 years in high school and 2 semesters in college. I don't speak it well at all, but I read and understand it reasonably well. It definitely helped. There were many things that I couldn't have graded accurately without knowing the language. There is after all more than one way to correctly construct a sentence response to a question. It also helped to be able to do oral practice. I think it would have been more difficult if I didn't know the language at all but I can't say how difficult.

We are actually doing this course this fall.  We are combining this book with the Green Practice Makes Perfect Spanish Verb Tenses 2nd edition book available on Amazon.  I have assigned the chapters in the green book to serve as a review at the end of the appropriate chapters.  I have tentatively scheduled daily assignments working through the BTB text chapter by chapter.

Lesson preview - 8 days

Lesson 1 - 9 days

Green book  - 6 days covering pp. 1-17

Lesson 2 - 9 days

Green book - 5 days covering pp. 47-55

Lesson 3 - 10 days

Green book - 5 days covering pp. 19-30

Lesson 4 - 5 days

Green book - 10 days covering pp. 109-134

Lesson 5 - 7 days

Green book - 4 days covering pp. 35-45

That takes us up to Christmas.  My girls have already studied Latin for 4 years, so the grammar of a foreign language is already under their belts.  I also purchased the short Spanish books by Karen Rowan.  The first one is Las Aventuras de Isabela.  I will probably have them start reading through it during lesson 2.  There are several of these books and they look great.

Each daughter (3 of them) will be responsible for making and studying vocabulary cards.  We separate them out between daily review and weekly review for some of the older well known words.  I also look through the pages and assign them to conjugate all of the new verbs in all tenses known.  Verbs are key and need lots of practice.  I will be learning it right along with them as our family wants to become fluent.

It helps that my husband is fluent in Spanish and we hope to have Spanish only dinners before too much longer!

Maureen, thanks! I have been looking for readers like the Rowan books and not finding much. These look just right! :)

Did you see this Kindle one? It looks even easier than the one you mentioned.

http://www.amazon.com/secreto-Isabela-aventuras-Spanish-ebook/dp/B00D8RX2SO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=107IGGIK8K339&coliid=I2MBP7JWW5NEIL