Menu

What dog food do you buy?

Another strong vote for http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

After discovering that site recently, we switched from Purina Pro Plan Select to Authority Grain-Free dry kibble with some yogurt and Wellness 95% canned as toppers.  We spend about $50 a month for our 60lb boxer mix.

Holy moly, I'm SOLD on grain-free food for dogs, and I will never buy anything lower than a 4-star reviewed food again.  Luna has always had terribly sensitive skin, balding areas around hot spots, tummy troubles, etc.  She was an absolute disaster when we got her 7 years ago, and she'd been doing better on Purina than she had been on anything else we've tried...  But the difference with the grain-free food is like night and day, even if the brand we're using is relatively cheap.  After only a month and a half on this new food, she finally has a shiny, healthy looking coat, and doesn't cringe as much if you come into contact with any of her sensitive skin areas.  Her energy levels have sky-rocketed; she actually wants to play again.  As an added bonus, we haven't had to use our wet vac once since the switch!   :thumbup:

We buy the 4health brand at Tractor Supply.  (It's the only thing we go there for lol...)

It isn't the absolute best out there, but it's better than the cheapo stuff.  It runs about $32 for a large bag.

The really good ones run for over $50 for a bag that is smaller.  We just can't afford that, especially since our dog is 90 lbs.   ;)

That's about what our philosophy is, too.  We use Diamond Naturals.  A four-star, it's not top of the line, but well above the stuff with all the grain fillers!

And we have a dozen dogs, so we need to think about cost effectiveness, as well as quality of feed.

I feed my dog a combination of raw poultry patties from my local poultry farm (although I may put in a complaint about the fact that the chickens are not tended to by vestal virgins like the foods in the PNW) and kibble from Holistic Select. Sometimes I switch the kibble with Taste of The Wild or Wellness.  Through the years I have found that a higher end diet results in fewer vet visits.   Not shelling out the $$ to vet is a big saver for me.