Menu

4yo and Handwriting

carriede

My DS REALLY wants to learn how to write letters. He'll randomly write As and Ts and Hs, simple stick letters, just by sight.

So, I got him a simple workbook for manuscript writing (based of off Z-B, but it's not). He won't take the time to trace the letters properly, and in the try-it-yourself blank lines, his writing resembles the letters but on a strange size scale (usually super small). I don't REALLY care because he IS only 4. He wants to learn, but doesn't want to put the effort into it...?

(FWIW, he loves doing the R&S workbooks, so I don't think seat work itself is a problem.)

My question is, do I let him keep doing the workbook sloppily to encourage his desire to write, or I do try to shrug it off and hope he's okay with waiting?

4 years IMHO is the age children need to learn to write.

If he doesn't want to trace, no big deal. Also don't worry about the lines. Are the lines those annoying three lines with the dotted in the middle that try to encourage kids to make super large letters? FWIW I despise those three lines.

Think about it. Do adults write on three lines, with super large letters? No. We write on notebook paper, unlined paper, or just lines _________

My advice is to get Handwriting Without Tears because the lines are more natural. Let him practice on unlined paper, regular notebook paper, and don't worry about those ridiculous dotted lines whenever  you see them. My kid usually writes his letters in a regular size in any workbook with those lines. It may look "wrong" in comparison to the sample letter to trace, but give him a regular sheet of lined notebook paper and it looks perfect. 

Also practice on surfaces such as chalkboards, white boards, in a tray of sand etc.

Focus on forming the letters neatly and legibly, from left to write, top to bottom. I seriously recommend HWT. 

4 years IMHO is the age children need to learn to write.

If he doesn't want to trace, no big deal. Also don't worry about the lines. Are the lines those annoying three lines with the dotted in the middle that try to encourage kids to make super large letters? FWIW I despise those three lines.

Think about it. Do adults write on three lines, with super large letters? No. We write on notebook paper, unlined paper, or just lines _________

My advice is to get Handwriting Without Tears because the lines are more natural. Let him practice on unlined paper, regular notebook paper, and don't worry about those ridiculous dotted lines whenever you see them. My kid usually writes his letters in a regular size in any workbook with those lines. It may look "wrong" in comparison to the sample letter to trace, but give him a regular sheet of lined notebook paper and it looks perfect.

Also practice on surfaces such as chalkboards, white boards, in a tray of sand etc.

Focus on forming the letters neatly and legibly, from left to write, top to bottom. I seriously recommend HWT.

I had the same question. This was very helpful; thank you!

I wouldn't use tracing or lined paper at this age - you need to teach letter formation which tracing does not teach - in fact it can lead to problems. Personally I like www.abcjesuslovesme.com which teaches writing starting with their age 3 curriculum (your child probably won't need this though and you could go directly to the 4 year curriculum) This curriculum also gives guides as to which letters to teach first though they also start with capitals.

HWOT is also supposed to be very good. I taught my DD by myself though so I could start with small letters before teaching capitals - she learnt the capitals extremely easily after knowing the small letters and I preferred this as most writing is small letters anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess I'll be the dissenting voice here and say let it go.  He is only 4.   Honesty, your son sounds like my daughter a year ago.  I was not formally doing school just casually introducing some letters and she started to write them in her drawing notebook.  They were all kinds of sizes but I let it go to encourage her desire to write them.  Then as kindergarten was approaching I'd tell her that we'd need to start getting serious about writing her letters correctly and how fun it would be to teach her and so on.   We started kindergarten and we've had no problems transitioning. In fact, she's doing great.   You know your kiddo best but wanted to share my experience. 

Sometimes she'll still want to do something funny with a letter but hey they're kids :tongue_smilie: I just remind her to stay focused and it's been fine. 

I guess I'll be the dissenting voice here and say let it go.  He is only 4.   Honesty, your son sounds like my daughter a year ago.  I was not formally doing school just casually introducing some letters and she started to write them in her drawing notebook.  They were all kinds of sizes but I let it go to encourage her desire to write them.  Then as kindergarten was approaching I'd tell her that we'd need to start getting serious about writing her letters correctly and how fun it would be to teach her and so on.   We started kindergarten and we've had no problems transitioning. In fact, she's doing great.   You know your kiddo best but wanted to share my experience. 

Sometimes she'll still want to do something funny with a letter but hey they're kids :tongue_smilie: I just remind her to stay focused and it's been fine. 

:iagree:  :iagree:  :iagree:  :iagree:

I did nothing but provide lots of UNLINED paper and a wall chart for my younger 3. All have taught themselves to correctly write all the letters and numbers with 2 teaching themselves Italics cursive. They have beautiful handwriting. The olders were pushed into it by their schools. Oldest can only write in print but it is legible. Son 2 has the WORST handwriting ever. Let it go. Really. It is amazing how kids will naturally develop.

My 4 year old mostly writes on the white board, and I don't worry about size yet. In K, we'll focus a little more on letter sizes being the same and start encouraging use of lowercase letters (I teach lowercase letters first, BUT all my kids have wanted to use capital letters anyway, because they're easier to make or remember or something). My 1st grader has to use all lowercase letters appropriately, as that is a Big Deal now. ;) But the 4 year old? Meh. If he's writing and it is reasonably legible, I'm thrilled! That's more than I expect from a 4 year old.

I'm in the let it go and don't worry about it camp. At 4 I'd just be glad he's that interested! :)

Next fall, when he's doing kindergarten, I'd start enforcing letter size and neatness. None of my kids had a problem with that transition. I'm on my fifth homeschooled kindergartner this year. I sit right beside her as she writes, and quickly erase any messy letters as I see them happening. The bar for performance expectations was set on the first day (two whole days ago) and enforced in every subject she has.