Menu

BUILD math centers-need ideas

swellmomma

This coming year I would like to use BUILD math centers with my dd5 and ds9, she is at a 1st grade level and he is barely at a 2nd grade.  (she is using mathematical reasoning beginning book B-she is about 1/2 way done and then starting MUS alpha, he is in the beginning of MUS beta).  He struggles with math but is starting to catch on, she would do math all day and finish a textbook a day if I let her.  So I am thinking I want to set up BUILD centers so that she can keep going and he can practice independently while I work at teaching the older kids their lessons.

For those that have not heard of these before they are a series of 5 bins set up with different centers

Generally:

B- Buddy games
U- Using manipulatives
I- Independant working/reading
L-Learning about numbers
D-Doing Math

Now my plan is to fill the bins once a week and have them do 2 rotations a day allowing them to finish each bin twice per week.  If they want to do more that is just fine, but aiming for each bin twice a week and then I will change the activities.

Buddy games is easy, I have tons of math games here that never get used, and cool dice I can make games with

Using manips I have -hands on standards math that focuses on using manips to solve an equation or 2.  I will just work through those books (I have the Prek-K; grade 1-2, grade 3-4 and grade 5-6), and/or I have bins filled with manips I can plan activities with

Independant working/reading I am thinking of having 1 math journalling activity per week, and either a chapter in LoF or one of the math picture books we have

Learning Numbers- this one I could use some ideas of things to put in beyond place value things, which is all that is coming to my sleepy head

Doing Math- I am thinking this is where I will put in the extra worksheets I have, kumon pages, mazes/dot to dots, word problems etc. 

They will continue having their actual math lesson daily which right now takes about 15 minutes a day, so math will be a total of about 45 minutes a day broken up into 3 15 minute segments.

So What would you put in the learning numbers bin? What about other bins? What are your favorite math picture books?  What ideas do you have?

I may do something similar for my teens who are trying hard to catch up in math and be ready for math 10 in 2nd semester this coming school year(dd) or the fall of the following one(ds) and who could use the extra practice in a fun way.  So ideas for teens who have struggled in math would be great too.  They are both about 1/2 way through MUS delta. 

I do have evan moor take to your seat math centers (folders) too, which bins do you think those would fit into best if you have used them?

Learning about numbers:

Learning about numbers:

awesome! thank you for all these links.  That gives me lots of ideas to go with.