Menu

Suggestions on K5 activities/centers while working with older siblings?

I will have 3 little ones at home this year and I'm nervous about the youngest one. She was in a K4 program last year so I was able to really get in a groove with my 10 dc and 7 dc. Does anyone have suggestions on what I should have available for her when she's done with her small amount of work and then bugs me incessently to watch videos, go on the ipad, or go outside. My eldest doesn't handle distractions well. I have to turn off phones, no computer, etc and we really dive into our work when we're at it. Gulp....help! 

Wendy

Off the top of my head--

Chores--swiffer, vac the couch/chairs, dust, fold towels, brush pet, unload dishwasher silverware, sweep, wash a sliding door window,wipe bathroom sinks

Write a letter to a relative

Sensory bin

Free art play

Play outside

Water plants indoors or out

Read

Listen to book on tape, following along in book

Knitting--spool, finger'

, or the real thing

Same with crochet and sewing a felt something

Printed cross stitch

Listen to music w/headphones

Make sandwiches or cut fruit salad for everyone's lunch, or set the table

Water play

Lentil science or other simple kit

Logos, dolls, puzzles, stamps, beads, etc.

Montessori works

Paper dolls

Draw from nature table

My five year old loves puzzles right now, especially those ones of different continents where the pieces are shaped like the countries. But any puzzle (under 50 pieces or so so I don't have to keep stopping to help him) would keep him entertained for awhile. He also loves mazes and dot-to-dots. I picked up a bunch of dot-to-dot books recently at a garage sale for 25 cents each. He can stay entertained for a while with those. 

Print off or draw large bubble letters/ numbers. Slide it in a sheet protector and let her use playdough to fill them in. You can also create math problems for her to use playdough as manipulatives. For example, draw a tree, then 3+2 apples = ?

I believe they had free sets of these on teacherpayteacher last year.

Also, if she's ready for sight words, give her word flash cards and let her stamp them out, make them out of pipe cleaners, use magnets, etc.

Starfall.com is great and free.

Books on cd.

Also, my students love painting and creating cards with stamps and stickers.