Menu

Abeka science for high school

We will be starting Abeka 9th physical science for my son's 9th grade science and my first year of teaching high school.  I bought the TM and was going to follow it, but it has me skipping all over the place with doing questions here and there instead of just reading a section and doing a few questions.  And, there are lots of questions, quizzes, and tests.  This would be his first typical text/question/answer he's ever done.  We've always done science through reading a lot of materials and doing an experiment here and there.

So, if you've ever used Abeka, do you get the book done in a year?  Should I try their schedule, which tends to confuse me with all the page flipping, or just go for a more typical read and answer questions at the end.  Should I really spend time having him go through this to really get it, or should I have more of a cover everything type of attitude?  I thought this would be easier, but I'm thinking if we try to get this down before moving on, then it will be very time consuming and I doubt we'll cover the book in a year (say if I were to treat this like his math class).  Any suggestions or anyone else BTDT?

Alison

We did A Beka Physics (in 9th grade).  Just read the book through and did all

the problems.  We did not use a teacher's guide or any lesson planning.

We didn't use any of their quizzes or tests.  I personally don't like to bother with

all that.  He did all the problems until he got them right.

Basically, when we had time (about 2-4 hours a week) the book was read and

the problems in the book were all done.

It took from late August until May of the following year, so yes, one school year.

DS did extremely well in Physics standardized tests after one year of A Beka Physics.

The only other material we used was Test Prep books.