Menu

Independent art program for 6th grade?

I.Dup.

My daughter is getting more interested in art. We have never stuck with a formal art program, that is just one of those things that falls by the wayside in our large, busy family. My daughter has always just checked out books from the library and we have some craft books here that she follows along with at times. Her favorite form of art is drawing. Do you have any recommendations for good drawing books that she can do independently, or an art program for middle school (preferably with supplies at least listed out each week so I don't have to comb through the program making lists of everything I would need)?

Have you looked at Artistic Pursuits?  They have various levels, and here's a link to the first middle school book.

http://www.artisticpursuits.com/2114bk_jh1.html

That does look promising, thank you! Do you know if they have a list of supplies, or if there aren't many extra supplies needed?

Duh, I just saw their art packages. This looks even better now (but expensive!)

You're welcome!  There's a list of needed supplies on or immediately after the table of contents page.  On the link to the first middle school book, scroll all the way to the bottom.  The TOC/supplies list is the last sample page, and if you click on it, you get an enlarged view.  This particular book doesn't require much, just drawing pencils and pens, ink, drawing pads and related small items.  I agree the supply kits are expensive, but good quality art supplies do make a world of difference in my DS's enthusiasm for doing the projects.  Might be less expensive to buy locally if you have an art supply store, though, without having to pay shipping.  Good luck!