Menu

Testing options?

I like to test the kids annually around January or so just for my own personal record keeping (not required by the state).  Can you recommend something a little better than the DORA/ADAM, but that is cheap, doesn't require any hoop-jumping (at home, without getting myself certified), and has instant or fairly quick results (less than a month)?  Something for late elementary through high school that gives you a level or percentile rather than a pass/fail?  We've used DORA/ADAM (or... DOMA as it used to be called), and we've used the WJ-III, but I'm looking for something that falls between those two.  If I had the time and money, I'd just do the WJ every year.  Scheduling it and paying for it are a big challenge, though.  :(

Hmm.... I didn't know that.  (I do have a degree.)  Tell me about the tests - do you have to choose a grade level, or are there a range of levels?  What about very asynchronous kids?

I just registered for an account at BJU, but it won't let me see anything about becoming a test administrator for at least 1 business day.  (Weird...)  What's the process to becoming an administrator?

Hmm.... I didn't know that.  (I do have a degree.)  Tell me about the tests - do you have to choose a grade level, or are there a range of levels?  What about very asynchronous kids?

I just registered for an account at BJU, but it won't let me see anything about becoming a test administrator for at least 1 business day.  (Weird...)  What's the process to becoming an administrator?

You do need to choose a level, but it doesn't have to be your child's age/grade level. The child's scores are compared to other children his age. I believe you can arrange for the scores to also be compared to other children in the tested grade level. For example, if your 3rd grader took a 5th grade test his scores on the 5th grade test would be compared to 3rd graders who took the 5th grade test and if you want them compared to 5th graders you would have to arrange that, I think. I think you have to choose one level, but you don't have to do all the subtests.

To become an administrator you will have to send in proof of your degree (fax, email, or mail). I believe for the Stanford you will need to watch video training unless you have experience giving standardized tests professionally.

I'm not sure the age/level of your younger child but the PASS test by Hewitt is great for different levels.  It's for grades 3-8, but I'm certain my oldest would max out in math easily by 5th grade so keep your child in mind.  He took it in 3rd grade.  It was at home, untimed, and parent-administered.  It did take a few weeks for the results.  I think it cost $26 when he did it.  You do pretests in each sectionto determine which test to take.  There were three sections.  You can take different levels for different sections.  For the results, you actually get compared to kids the same age/grade - whatever grade level you say your child is in.  And compared to both all the kids and to homeschoolers only, since the homeschoolers have higher percentages.  (Also, if your child is a younger math grade and you want the harder test booklet, write that in the notes. I hadn't known there was an upper and lower math book so they send me the lower one, since he was 3rd grade.  They then emailed me the upper math when I realized they hadn't sent the right level for him).

If you don't want to support BJU,  there are some places in NC where you can order tests.

I've used both Bayside (TerraNova, although when I used them it was only the CAT) and Triangle (ITBS).

I'm not sure what you mean about "support BJU".  :huh:  Does a portion of the testing fee go to them?  I don't know who they are (other than publishing Bible-based curriculum), so I don't have a reason not to support them.  We're Christian.

Thanks to all of you for the info!  I'm still kinda wondering if the WJ would be the best option, given the drastic asynchronization, but it's such a pain to do that.  I'll keep pondering the options you've given, though.  Thank you!

Bob Jones has a history of racial discrimination that really makes me not want to give them any of my money. Yes, some of the fees you pay to any company for testing will go for their profit. We were debating whether we'd have to use them for testing when I was able to find some other places instead.

To become an administrator you will have to send in proof of your degree (fax, email, or mail). I believe for the Stanford you will need to watch video training unless you have experience giving standardized tests professionally.

You don't even have to send in proof of your degree anymore. Last year, I told BJU that I had a degree in x from university y in year z. I assume they just checked it out on their own? They never asked for any proof.

And the Stanford video can now be watched online for free. It's a 6 minute video that basically tells you things you probably already knew. :tongue_smilie:

So yeah, getting approved as an administrator for ITBS and SAT10 is super duper easy through BJU. I don't know if the process is the same for other companies. You shouldn't have any problems with anyone, as long as you meet the degree requirements.