Menu

AoPS pre-A to Algebra transition?

I am posting this here, because I hope to hear from those who have already gone through The Great Algebra Angst.

My son will be starting 8th grade in Sept. His plan is to attend public high school in 9th grade. Last year he took the AoPS pre-A online class. He loved it..well... he loved it much of the time. Sometimes it made him want to scream, but that doesn't seem uncommon. It was the first time he ever had to work at math and I think it was a really good experience. My son is a fast learner and rarely has to work to master things, so some work was good for him. He's not a math lover, but he will do the work required, and he recognizes the value of the skills. He's more of a language kid, wants to be a writer/actor sort of person.

I really want to just enroll him in the AoPS Algebra class in the Autumn and the Probability class in the second semester and call it done. He has to take the NY Algebra Regents exam in June and He needs to do well. If he does that, he can enter school as a freshman and go right into Geometry Regents. If he doesn't do well he will have to take algebra again. Blech

I have heard that the AoPS Algebra is quite challenging and moves quickly. I am wondering what other people experienced with the class. If a student took the pre-Algebra, and seemed to do well, do you think the student is ready to take on the Algebra class?

I should add that my son did not like the pre-A text book. He loved the class and alcumus and the challege problems and the class videos, but he did not like that book.

If he completed AoPS, PreAlgebra, he should be ready to move on to AoPS Algebra. We've never done the online classes that have books so I can't speak to the class. Looking at the schedule, the online algebra class moves at a faster pace than the online prealgebra class. If he understands AoPS algebra, then I can't imagine him doing poorly on an algebra placement test.

I like the algebra book better than the prealgebra book.

If he has to take the Regents make sure you get a prep book. Ds completed Algebra this year and we are thinking of him taking the Algebra Regents in Jan. I have a prep book and there are topics that are covered that weren't in our Algebra book. Some were pre-algebra, some are geometry. We used a strong Algebra program but not one specifically geared toward the Regents. There may also be language that's different. This isn't to discourage you from AOPS,which is an excellent program but just to alert you ahead of time since it's impt he passes.

Both DH and I grew up in NY and took the Regent exams. We are familiar with the prep.  Oh those red books......

There is quite a lot of regents prep online and I am sure DH can make sure everything is covered. We might take time every weekend to do some regents specific prep.

Both DH and I grew up in NY and took the Regent exams. We are familiar with the prep.  Oh those red books......

There is quite a lot of regents prep online and I am sure DH can make sure everything is covered. We might take time every weekend to do some regents specific prep.

Oh, good! I am NOT from NY and am finding it a bit overwhelming. I am still not sure it's necessary as we are pretty sure we'll homeschool all through high school, but dh feels like why not do it. Glad your on top of it.

It is my understanding that taking the Regents exams is really only helpful for two things

#1 if there is a chance your kid will end up going to a NY public high school at some point, it is easier if they took the regents. That way they get credit when they enroll in the school etc. If my kid takes the Algebra regents and passes then he goes right into geometry (or math 2 or whatever they call it these days) with no question. He will be given high school credit for his homeschool algebra class by the high school. Even if I had no intention of sending my son to public high school I would have him take the regent exams 'just in case'. But that is just me. Kids in private NY schools don't take the regents.

#2 if your NY homeschool kid might go to a SUNY.  If your NY kid wants to go to a SUNY then those regent exams make the application process as simple as if he went to public school. My friend didn't to the regent exams for her kids (a lot of good reasons why) and her SUNY kid isn't eligible for certain aid. There is a loophole that keeps SUNY from recognizing NY homeschooled kids as having a NY high school diploma. I don't remember what, but it is costing them more for him to attend a SUNY than for her other two to attend private colleges out of state. Allowing hs'd students to take the 5 regent exams is the solution for the 'loophole'.

I am sure that others have better/more information on the topic. This is just what I have gleaned from listening to local hs'ing parents. In my town, hardly anyone has their hs'ing kids take the Regents tests.