Menu

If I submit a syllabus to the college board for an AP audit, do I have to follow the syllabus?

I'm trying to put in a syllabus to the college board for AP biology for next year. However, I really don't have the time right now to figure out exactly what I'm planning to do. Can I put in a kinda sorta syllabus to get the course approved, and then alter my plans?

I realize that I don't have to get course approval, but for long and complex reasons, I'm going down this path.

Well my college friend who teaches high school english, including now AP, just came to visit me today and was telling me how she got the syllabus approved and then realized the class wasn't NEARLY ready to meet the requirements, meaning they couldn't get through the syllabus.  I'm guessing that happens in more schools than just hers.  ;)

So that's not exactly the same, but yes regular school teachers do end up having things flex.

I suspect you will have to steer this ethical dilemma as it comes.

There is no doubt that every AP teacher must make adjustments to her syllabus: you cover something too fast or too slow, a specific resource doesn't show up. BUT at some point if you were to make a huge change, you will cross a line where you should resubmit what you've done. Where that line is, I don't know.  

Sigh, I fear I should make another pass at the syllabus and get it to where it is mostly what I am planning. Then I won't feel bad at all if we have to make minor adjustments. It will still need tweaking as we go, but at least it will be closer.

Thanks!

Jean

You do realize that you have until sometime in January of next year to submit your syllabus for approval, right? Why not wait until you have the time to focus on what you really want to do before submitting the syllabus since you will have to do that at some point anyway. No need to "ruin" your summer!

Nancy

You do realize that you have until sometime in January of next year to submit your syllabus for approval, right? Why not wait until you have the time to focus on what you really want to do before submitting the syllabus since you will have to do that at some point anyway. No need to "ruin" your summer!

Nancy

Well, I've actually got lots of time now, since I was laid off from my job last week. I may be back at work in a few weeks, but maybe not. So I'm having a hard time figuring out how much money we have to spend on things like books and lab equipment, and how much teacher time will be available. I figured the AP audit was a "hoop" I could jump through now, while I'm not so busy.

There is big difference between tweaking a schedule that has been approved as an AP course and doing something completely different. Listing a course on the transcript as AP implies you actually did an AP approved course. I wouldn't have a problem with covering material faster, slower or rearranging the order. You can add more without a problem. The problem is if you don't cover the expected material and then still want to call it AP approved.

Really, it is not my intent to call the class "AP" without covering the expected material. DS is already planning to go to public high school part-time in the fall. If either lack of money or teacher time makes the course really impossible, he'll just take it at the high school.

There is big difference between tweaking a schedule that has been approved as an AP course and doing something completely different. Listing a course on the transcript as AP implies you actually did an AP approved course. I wouldn't have a problem with covering material faster, slower or rearranging the order. You can add more without a problem. The problem is if you don't cover the expected material and then still want to call it AP approved.

I think you are set.  The College Board tells approved teachers that they may renew their approval each year even if they change the details of the course.  The textbook used can even change. 

The reason for certification according the the CB is "to ensure that each and every teacher demonstrates their awareness and inclusion of the curricular requirements in their course"--so if you are still including the curricular requirements, you'll be fine.

(On the other hand, if you're rebuilding your syllabus, you might possibly find it useful to get feedback from the CB.  The feedback in this case would be for YOU, not for them.)