Menu

For those who've used Saxon Phonics 1

HappyLady

I'm pretty sure this is what I'm going with for my DD. She'll technically be in K, but I'm gearing most everything towards 1st grade because of her skill levels. I also plan on using First Language Lessons. Do I need to supplement with anything else at this point for language?

We did add handwriting to Saxon Phonics because there is not a lot of actual instruction for forming the letters (although there is lots of practice!). Other than that, I think you're fine with FLL and just reading aloud a bunch.

• 2 weeks later...

I used Saxon Phonics 1. My son is a great speller because of this program. The little reading books with it are dry and my son couldn't be pushed to read them. He still isn't reading as well as I was thinking he should be after this program. We did K and 1. He just wants to be read to. I don't blame the program (that much) I think it's a confidence and mommy time issue. He can read when I make him. I'm just not into pushing it right now.

I will point out that 2nd grade is the same outline as 1st except like two lessons so look closely before you spend $$ on 2nd. This is one reason why we switched and the other is that it took an hour a day to do all the parts with games. we were exhausted.

We decided to switch to spelling workout A and B, WWE1, Climbing to Good English 1 and 2, and then read SoTW real books to get him excited to use his new reading skills. These should be quick, somewhat more independent, confidence building curriculums.

If you haven't bought FLL's yet you might like to just do WWE1 with copy/nar of her choice. cheaper. Saxon phonics took us an hour a day if you don't skip so FLL might be too long to pair with it in a day.