Menu

Is Trig Necessary for Apologia Physics?

I've FINALLY decided to go with Red Wagon for Physics for my son this year and now I see he recommends you have either completed or are currently taking Trig for the class. My son has only completed Alg I and II and is starting Geometry through the summer. Is the trig substantial in the Apologia Physics or could we do a little on our own (using Khan, etc.) and get the basic idea for the class? My son is an upcoming junior and has completed Biology and Chemistry. I'd like to leave his senior year open for either an Advanced class (Chem or Physics) or dual enrollment.

may i ask what you used for Biology and Chemistry?

We've used Apologia all the way through (General Science, Physical Science w/ labs, Biology w/ labs, and Chemistry w/ labs). The first three were done with our co-op and we used Catie Frates for Chemistry (labs were still done with co-op).

I do not know the precise curriculum you are referring to, but I have been teaching algebra//trig based physics and calculus based physics at a university for many years. The trigonometry that is required for an introductory physics course that uses trig is VERY basic and mainly requires the definitions of sine, cosine and tan function in the right triangle, SOHCAHTOA. This will be used extensively for forces and two dimenional kinematics; students need to be able to quickly determine the components of vector quantities by using trig if magnitude and angle is given, as well as determining magnitude and direction if components are given. The only other thing that is needed might be the pythagorean theorem in trig form (sin^2 + cos ^2 =1)

This material can easily be taught in an afternoon to a student who had geometry and does not require a full trigonometry course. The student should, however, be familiar with the geometry of right triangles and with similarity.

I would be very surprised if your curriculum used any advanced trigonometry such as trig identities, double angle formulas etc, as these are not really needed in the level physics that is taught in high school.

We used Apologia Physics, and it requires only very basic trig. Ds picked it up easily enough from the text and a little outside looking up on his own. I would think you could easily use Khan videos or another source to learn it. Regentrude is right, though, you do need to understand the geometry of right triangles (without that, the trig might not make sense), so you might also need to look ahead a bit in your geometry course, depending on where you are when you encounter the trig in physics.