Menu

Blocked from WTM because IP (DHCP) suppossedly had Virus

Lanny

@ Sys Admin (John?): This afternoon, it was impossible for me to log onto WTM, or, even to see the Home page of WTM. We are on ADSL and we do not pay extra, for a Dedicated IP address. We get our IP address via DHCP from the Cali phone company.  Apparently, the IP address we had at that time was on your block list. I got the CAPTCHA page and there was a message that my PC was infected with a Virus.. Well, NO, it isn't...  Our PCs are running anti virus (and other) software, for protection from bad things, that is updated, several times daily.

We are not the only WTM users who do not have a Dedicated IP address and if someone else has used that IP address and done bad things with it, please don't penalize us for that.  Thank you!

Hi OtherJohn and thank you. It gave me a screen that there was something wrong, and that I was blocked. It had a CAPTCHA and it said that our IP/PC had a Virus, which it didn't.  In other words, I was banned, temporarily, because the IP address we had at that time, was on a list you are using from Spamhaus or some other list.  i understand, completely, about trying to protect servers from Spammers and Viruses, and I applaud that, but in this case, it resulted in an innocent person (me) being banned, temporarily, with because of that IP address.  I wish I could remember more about what that page said, but it was 4 or 5 days ago. Surely I'm not the only WTM user who runs into this. The problem with getting an IP address via DHCP is that many of them have been used by Spammers. Probably the majority of them...   Lanny