Menu

"Electives" for a 4th grader

mitzvahmommy

On a whim, I promised my son a few months ago that he would have the option of electives this year. He complained that last year he only learned what I wanted him to learn (math, language arts, religious studies, science, history) and not what he wanted to learn. We didn't have any resources last year to make extra-curricular classes (music, art) happen. We are in a different position now, and I could sign him up for classes/lessons, or prepare material for topics he is interested in. Kids are about to go to camp for the next month, so this is my time to research/prepare/arrange those sorts of things. Problem is....neither he or I can think of many options. He reads - about 2500 pages per week - and is obsessed with chess, and he already fills much of his day with those activities. He doesn't really like art or desire to learn an instrument. He wants to learn Spanish, and I speak it and will happily create a program for him. Any other ideas? I remember getting the course catalog in college each spring and feeling so excited by all of the options available (yes, I was a total nerd!). I ended up taking classes I never thought I would have been interested in, and loving them. I would like to give my son that experience. Suggestions?

Why not chess? Or maybe Classic Games. You could add marbles, backgammon, and such. Learn the history, watch movies, play tons.

My DS that just finished 4th grade had Latin, poetry, and geography. This coming year I designed an architecture course for him.

Other ideas (mostly borrowed from scouting awards)

Hiking

Nutrition/health

astronomy

citizenship

communicating

computers

geology

heritages

map and compass/orienteering

photography

wildlife conservation

video games (history, how they're made, etc)

archery

bicycling

bowling

fishing

golf

physical fitness

roller skating

skateboarding

swimming

ultimate (frisbee)

--Scratch programming. Go to HELP for beginning instructions and inspiration.

--Dancemat typing

--Wedo or Mindstorms Legos (Expensive!!)

--Pitsco has great kits for engineering with paper, building catapults, or learning about hydraulics

--Chemistry Set, and mom assigns extra reading and discussions of what is really happening in the kit.

--Bicycle Maintenance and Repair

--Snap Circuits

--Book on Catapults (No specific recommendations here; you'll have to do your own search, try pitsco, too).

--Flash, Bang, Pop, Fizz (Chemistry)

--A unit on microbiology: make your own agar plates, learn how to use the microscope, learn parts of the cell

--Sew sweatpants, shorts, Halloween Costumes.

--Knitting or Quiliting

--Train to run a 5K or 10K.

I would research what is in your new area - and i'm 99% sure you will find something totally awesome and during the day - and couple that with the issues in your other thread! Point out he can't do this amazing "thing" if he goes to school because between that and homework there just won't be time! :D

Have you found any HS groups in the area? I would try that and see what they might offer thru co-op. Contact museums and see what they might have in the way of classes.

My 4th grader will have art as her main "elective" at home. We do a combo of art history and drawing. Other than that she has scouts and dance and swim lessons (part of the year) and latin club at co-op (which is a fun class where there is no homework where we learn culture and history and do games and stuff) I hope to get piano in, but it is hard to get it all in!

I think he would enjoy computer programming - I teach classes on that at our co op. I ut up a page with the resources I recommend - www.squidoo.com/teach-computer-programming and I would agree with duckens that Scratch might be the best one to start with - I do give suggestions there on the resources I like best for each language.

Computer applications are another idea - I used Jan's 101 courses for my kids to learn Word, Excel and Powerpoint

Economics / Entrepreneurship is another idea. If you did the latter he could start his own business as part of the course. I know there are books on the subject - I am not at home now so can't see what the ones I have are.

For art, computer graphics might appeal.