Menu

Windows to the World: how much religious content?

I have been researching Windows to the World on this forum and have read a lot of very positive reviews, which caused me to look into the samples on the web page. I, too, am really intrigued, after crossing curriculum after curriculum off my list of possibilities for next year.

I notice the web site says it "contains distinctly Christian content." Can anyone who has used it tell me how strong that content is? Does it suffuse the entire curriculum to the point where a family who is not Christian might feel frustrated using it? Do most or all of the literary works deal with Christian themes/material/characters? Or is the religious aspect of it more subtle and less frequent? I was hoping someone out there could tell me just how much "distinctly Christian content" there is, so we would know what to expect in this curriculum that I generally like the look of very much.

As I recall, the author explains her Christian perspective in her introduction, and then the bulk of the Christian material is contained in Unit 3 (Allusions), with an exercise specifically geared around Biblical Allusions, and then Unit 9, which covers worldview, and specifically includes Christian worldview. However, neither chapter is very long, and it might be worth skimming through both chapters, as, along with Shakespeare, Greek epics/mythology, and King Arthur, the most alluded to work tends to be the Bible (unit 3). Also, Christian themes of sin, redemption and sacrifice show up in a lot of classic literature, so it might be worth a quick look at the worldview behind those themes (unit 9) in order to have a better understanding of works in which those themes appear.

As far as works covered -- none of the 6 short stories that are the focus of the program are overtly Christian; I don't know the background of the authors, but I don't know as though any are Christian authors:

- "Gift of the Magi" (Henry)

- "The Most Dangerous Game" (Connell)

- "The Necklace" (De Maupassant)

- "Fight with a Cannon" (Hugo)

- "Jury of Her Peers" (Glaspell)

- "The Open Window" (Saki)

There is also an exercise that works with Mark Twain's short story "Story without an End", and exercises that cover a few poems, such as "Marginalia" (Collins), and, "Convergence of the Twain"(Hardy).

I know a number of families on this board have said that they have been able to use WttW in a secular fashion without much trouble. Hopefully, you will get a few more responses to help you get a picture of what's meant by Christian content. :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Many thanks for your thoughts and for all the detailed information, Lori D. That helps a lot.

I think I might re-post the question on the high school boards to see if I can get any further perspectives. I was realizing that most people who are using or have in the past used WttW are probably over there. Newbie mistake!

I think I might re-post the question on the high school boards to see if I can get any further perspectives. I was realizing that most people who are using or have in the past used WttW are probably over there.

Good idea. :) Plus, the program is geared for high school, so another reason to post there. ;)

I was able to use it despite the Christian content for my two older girls. There was one section where she talked about worldview that really made my dd mad, but she was able to skip past it after ranting to me about how awful that part was. I told her she could skip it, but she couldn't bring herself to NOT read through it at least, even though I told her that reading that part would just make her mad.

It really is an excellent program if you get Jill Pike's lesson plans to go with it. The TM for it just doesn't lay out the program well enough for me.