Menu

Any recommendations for 8th grade schooling online for advanced student?

lynn

Should I just go to 9th grade something for him? Can I start counting high school credits if I do that?

Thoughts, suggestions. Last year we did Saxon 1/2, Abeka Grammar, History, Science and a writing program(can't think of the name right now). He also had some enrichment classes in Speech, Writing and Science with our hs group.

Algebra 1, myhomeschool math class with Jann in TX, or Currclick class, or Derek Owens,

Blue tent English honors 1, or intro lit with melodee skiles

Biology Landry Academy or Friendly Chemistry online

History ?I'd want an asynchronous class here.

Elective of some kind? computer programming with Khan, or scratch. or great courses videos and 2 -4 papers

High school credits: I'm not there yet, but what I've gleaned off the highschool and college board is it depends:

- On where you live. TX you can't. You still need basically 4 higher level math regardless of when algebra is taken.

-For my beginning 8th grader who is already doing some highschool work too, I'll keep grades and course descriptions as if it's her 9 th grade year. Then if for some reason we decide to graduate early all the paperwork will be there.

Should I just go to 9th grade something for him? Can I start counting high school credits if I do that?

Thoughts, suggestions. Last year we did Saxon 1/2, Abeka Grammar, History, Science and a writing program(can't think of the name right now). He also had some enrichment classes in Speech, Writing and Science with our hs group.

Bumping for you.

Answers to a few questions might flesh out what you're looking for and get more responses. Do you want all subjects covered with one provider, or are you willing to select (and juggle) the best provider for each particular subject? Secular or Christian (since you mentioned Abeka above) or no preference? If you want science or history, what did he do this year? Did he like it? There are some online providers geared towards gifted learners with more depth and different-than-standard output expected - is that what you want? Or are you wanting to accelerate into high school level work for credit? Also you might want to cross-post on either the high school or gifted learner sub-forums, depending on what you are seeking.