Menu

Help me pick an e-reader for my tween/kids

happypamama

Our cheapie e-reader (an E-Matic) died, and I want to get something else. I need it to be able to read PDFs and Kindle books, because some of DD's curricula for next year is in Kindle form. I was going to get the $69 Kindle for the kids, because for them, I really, really want some sort of e-ink technology.

The problem is that one of our library systems uses 3M, which the Kindle won't do at this time, and one of our systems uses Overdrive and runs through the Kindle store. That one is the larger system with the bigger selection, but they definitely seem to have different selections, and both systems seem to be growing.

I have no interest in rooting any e-reader and thus voiding the warranty.

Is there an e-reader currently on the market that will do 3M AND Kindle books, and which also uses e-ink?

If you want to use mainly Kindle books, I would go with the Paperwhite. The built-in light is extremely handy for bedtime reading or in the car at night.

If you want the ability to use e-books from any source, Kobo is a good choice. They have a mini (larger screen than an iPod/iPhone, but smaller than most ereaders, no light) or Kobo Glo (standard size with light).

Kobo has its own online store like Amazon where books download directly to the device. You can support your local independent bookstore by registering your Kobo through them, and any ebooks you purchase from Kobo gives the bookstore a small cut of the profits.

If you want to download books from any other source (Amazon, Project Guttenberg, etc.), you have to download them to your computer first, then sync your device to it.

I know you said you wanted e-ink, but a tablet should also support multiple e-book sources. You can get the Kindle app, Kobo app, etc. to read the various books. Kobo Arc is an android tablet focused on e-books, and the Google Nexus works for everything. Both will offer more freedom around content choice than Apple or Amazon products.

HTH!