Menu

Math advice for 9 1/2 yr old?

Hi All,

My 9 1/2 yr old is finishing MM grade 3. He is doing great with the program and I often have him skip practice problems because he tends to grasp new math concepts quickly. That said, he's not highly gifted in math. He just gets it.

He complains every day about MM though. He doesn't enjoy it. We have LoF and although he doesn't mind it, I just can't see using it exclusively.

I've been looking into other math programs, and see Beast Academy recommended here quite a bit. I know grade 4 is coming out this summer. My issue is that when I look at the assessments of grade 3 I don't think my ds knows all of the material, as it seems to be much more advanced than MM. I do think he would appreciate a program written to advance quickly though. I think if he were challenged more it would work well for him.

In this case, would you order the level in grade 3 from BA and start there, or continue with MM4 and accelerate as needed? Or ditch both ideas and just use LoF? LoF doesn't seem to cover the concepts on the standard tests though, so that's why I've been using MM too.

He did test at 4th grade level for math according to the state's standardized test he took in May, if that makes a difference (and tested 7th grade for reading and language).

Thanks for any advice.

I'd also recommend thinking about Beast Academy, starting with 3A. You can do something else alongside it such as MM or Singapore Math. Beware that the new Beast Academy books are coming out at a rate of about one book per 4 months, which puts one years curriculum at 16 months to publish it. You could also look at adding Zaccaro's Primary Grade Challenge Math as something different and more exciting than MM. Zaccaro's book would just be a supplement.

We didn't do MM3, we started with 4, but I do have BA 3A&B, and the tough parts are harder than anything in MM4. Meaning, I don't think you'd be backing him up to start him at the beginning of BA 3 . . . And by the time you get through it all, you'll probably be on track to do BA 4 as it comes out, right?

I like MM for its functionality, but I get why some kids don't like it. I'd try BA. LOF is a fine supplement at this level, but I wouldn't rely on it as a stand alone, myself. Fractions and Decimals are really kinda "5th grade math" and go well with MM5, not MM4, IMO.

Thank you all for the help! Chrysalis, would you recommend just using BA3 for ds 4th grade year and moving on to BA4 after and not using MM at all? I really appreciate your help!

If BA works for him and he likes it, I think that's a totally reasonable plan. My dd10 was just a little too far ahead to use BA as her main curriculum, but I do plan on trying it with dd7 when she is ready.

MM is an excellent program and will get a kid where you want them . . . if they can tolerate using it. So this isn't a dis to MM! But you said your son doesn't like it, so if I were you I'd be looking at alternatives, for sure. The thing is, BA is so new, and the 4th grade level isn't out yet, so it's hard to say exactly how it will work for a wide range of kids. But I think a lot of people who have used AoPS materials have a fair amount of faith in those guys to put together a great elementary program, and have hopes that it will work for us. I hope it works for you guys! It'll be at least a year before dd7 dips her toes in, but I'm looking forward to it already!