Menu

x-post Make: Electronics. book and kits

As I live so far away, my parents and inlaws always give me money to spend on my children for both birthday and christmas. I am interested in gathering all the $$ together and buying something neat for older ds. My son has an interest physics and will be taking it for the next two years, so I was looking at the Make: electronics book and kits. They are pricey! as in $400 total, so I wanted to make sure I was spending wisely.

http://www.makershed...80596153748.htm

Has anyone bought the book and kits? Did your kids like it? Did they do all the projects? Do the kits supply everything you need for chapters 1-4? Did you actually buy the extra stuff for chapter 5? Did this book help your student build a passion?

Give me your opinions!

Thanks,

Ruth in NZ

I have the book and the first supply kit. "I" love the book and so do my electrical engineering friends. However, for whatever reason my oldest (mathy) kid doesn't care for the book so much. I'm out of town so I can't look at my book to see what chp. 5 is.

We recently bought (at my son's request) this oscilloscope kit.

http://www.appliedinspirations.com/

For some reason it has peaked his interest way more than the MAKE book. My husband who understands all the electronics has given his blessing on both the MAKE book as well as the above kit. I think my son will be working on it a lot this summer, so I'll be better able to give an opinion later.