Menu

Question about Talent Search

We enrolled dd11 into Duke's TIPS program. I wanted her to do a couple of the classes that they offer online as well as the book of the month (type) program.

Is there any benefit from looking at any of the other talent search programs? I am not familiar with any long-term significance they might have for when she prepares for college, but she will need scholarship money. Would belonging to more than one program be favorable? She's going into 6th grade and it looks like most of these programs become more serious in 7th grade. Based on her test scores over the past few years, I feel like she will maintain being in the top 5%.

Also, in several areas (Stanford 10 and OLSAT), she maxed out at 99. I've read posts about other parents choosing to test their kids at a higher grade level to prevent hitting the ceiling. Should this be something I look at for the future?

Thanks for your thoughts.

The greatest benefit of these programs is the opportunity to take more challenging classes with other highly gifted children. The secondary benefit is that the summer camps look good on college applications if they are taken during the high school years. During 7th grade, your daughter can test through any of the programs. If you are already doing TIP, then I assume you are in one of the states that normally does the Duke program. Whichever program you choose to do the SAT through will be the program where your daughter is eligible for awards. If you live closer to Duke then it makes sense to test through them if they are closer to travel to for award ceremonies. Your daughter can still submit her scores to any of the other programs in order to take their summer camps, but she wouldn't be eligible for their awards. I know CTY gives first priority for summer camp registration to students who test through their program, but anyone can attend their summer camps after submitting qualifying scores. As far as hitting the ceiling on Stanford 10 and OLSAT, I wouldn't worry about that at all. The reason parents test at a higher grade level is to get more information through out-of-level testing. Taking the SAT through TIP or CTY is going to be a much better out-of-level test than taking the Stanford 10 above grade level.

It's worth it to look at them, but not to pay fees to them until you have scores in hand for the EXPLORE, ACT, or SAT (I think at 6th grade those are all options), and then to send the scores along with the registration fee to whatever program you want to do classes through. TIPS really is a good program to start with because they have classes available that don't require having taken the out of level test yet, instead of just paying a fee and then waiting to get those out of level scores to do anything-and once you have those scores, in general, no one cares who you took the test under. Only that you have a qualifying score. And it does give eligibility for awards as well.

The one caveat is that if you need financial aid to participate in a specific program, it might be best to test through that program, since priority is always given to their students first.

Thanks. We can afford the programs and testing. I meant that we'll need scholarship money to make it through college once they are old enough. We'll have college costs for two kids and our oldest is disabled and will need lifetime care.

I'll look into the EXPLORE test for her to take at the end of next year (assuming that's possible).

Being around other kids who are similar would be great. Thanks again.