Menu

Where to start with subjects such as language arts, science, and history?

Hello, DS9 is starting fourth grade and is transitioning from public school to homeschooling. I'm currently reading The Well Trained Mind, and wonder where to start with certain curriculum. For example, TWM recommends Biology, Classification, and the Human Body for grade 1, but at public school he had very little of these subjects. Since his education has these "gaping holes," it does not make sense to me to start with fourth grade science. The same issue exists with history, and to a lesser extent, language arts. He is very strong in math, and is working with ease in Singapore Math 4a.

So, my question is, do I go back and start at the first level with certain subjects such as science, math, language arts, and logic?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice. This forum has been invaluable in helping conquer fear and find my way these last few weeks.

With skills, you have to meet them where they are, but there's no reason why you must study any particular branch of science in any specific year with elementary kids. The WTM science cycle is an organisational technique and not necessary to use if you have another science plan you'd rather follow.

I started homeschooling last fall with a 3rd and 1st grader and I decided to start history with the Romans because their private school covered ancient Egypt in kindy and I figured I'd move to the next important time period. We'll sort of stretch the WTM's history cycle so it lasts through 7th grade for my oldest, than do civics and he'll probably go back to private high school where he'll cover the history cycle again.

So my thought is -- what science and history did he cover in the last couple years? I'd avoid those and see what appeals to you that logically follows those.

As others have said, you can do whatever science you think would interest him or would fill gaps he's missing.

For math, many programs have evaluation tests online. If you find a program you like, you can print out the test(s) to see at what level he should start. Or, if you see he has gaps in his math knowledge, there are other programs that allow you to pick and choose which concepts to cover, in order to specifically fill in those gaps and get him up to speed as efficiently as possible. (I'm sorry I don't know which programs those are though!)

For language arts, a lot of the information is repeated year after year, it's just built on a little more each time, so you are most likely safe going with grade level there.

With skills, you have to meet them where they are, but there's no reason why you must study any particular branch of science in any specific year with elementary kids. The WTM science cycle is an organisational technique and not necessary to use if you have another science plan you'd rather follow.

Thank you, that's good to know! He's crazy about astronomy, salamanders, and was especially impressed when we melted ice cubes on the stove and talked about phase changes. And, he is REALLY EXCITED about getting up at 3 am to drive out in the country and look at the Perseid meteor shower in August. So, I guess our approach will be eclectic. Thank heavens for the local library!