Menu

world history -- I need help with a realignment

I have spent several hours now searching this board and the internet, and I'm not getting a clear answer so I hope someone here can help me.

Ds completed the Ancients in 8th grade. So my plan was:

9th Medieval

10th Renaissance/Early Modern

11th Modern

12th US History

This year (9th) ds was reading SWB's History of the Medieval World, coupled with TTC lectures. He has asked to move to a more traditional textbook next year. So far I'm seeing:

1. Our Human Story

2. Glencoe World History (I don't understand the exact difference btw the "regular" and the "modern", I couldn't find a TOC for either)

3. Patterns of Interaction (book or on iPad?)

4. Ways of the World

I'm not sure that if I split these to cover both 10th and 11th that they would be "enough"? Is each one intended to be a 1-year high school course? If I used one of them more as a spine and then added in TTC lectures (or something similar) and more research/guided reading, would that be enough for two classes over two years (understanding that I would skip the parts up to the Crusades)?

At this point I'm so tired of reading the publisher website blurbs that really tell me nothing, kwim?

...and about the book vs iPad option, I downloaded the sample for Patterns of Interaction. The blurb mentioned that it reads more like a magazine, and I guess it does. It didn't really excite me, but I guess those small snippets and lots of interactive bits would probably be interesting to students. I'm conflicted over not liking the "magazine" feel for a textbook and not wanting to turn away from technology...

Any help greatly appreciated...

You could use Spielvogel's Western Civilization or World History: Patterns of Interaction. If you want a text that is specific to the time period, you could use the Spielvogel West. Civ. Vol. II: Since 1500 and/or the Modern World History: Patterns of Interaction. Same material, but just that portion, so the books aren't as heavy. You can find older editions pretty cheaply on Amazon, ebay, abebooks, etc.

As for the Glencoe, it's probably similar to the Patterns of Inter. in that the World History text covers ancients, too.

Thanks for your post.

I'm wondering how to manage it, because the SWB book he's been reading ends at the crusades. I had thought about pushing ds to work over the summer to get him from the crusades to 1500, but then I thought why push him when I could just have him start earlier in a different survey book, kwim? So I need it to be more from 1200.

I'm still not clear on which books have more than one volume, and which books are meant to cover a school year. Plus I'm now looking on Amazon at Spielvogel and there are so many books.... and most seem to be only Western Civ? I'm feeling overwhelmed.

:(

Spielvogel's Western Civ. (complete text) is a year-long college course. The shorter books are for one-semester college courses (Vol. I and II) or even for college trimesters (A, B, and C). Any of those would be reasonable for a high school year-long course if you supplemented. Book B covers 1300-1850, so maybe it would be a good fit for this next year for you. If you need earlier than that, perhaps Vol. I would be better. It covers ancients through 1750.

Thanks for your post.

I'm wondering how to manage it, because the SWB book he's been reading ends at the crusades. I had thought about pushing ds to work over the summer to get him from the crusades to 1500, but then I thought why push him when I could just have him start earlier in a different survey book, kwim? So I need it to be more from 1200.

I'm still not clear on which books have more than one volume, and which books are meant to cover a school year. Plus I'm now looking on Amazon at Spielvogel and there are so many books.... and most seem to be only Western Civ? I'm feeling overwhelmed.

:(

Kate, the Strayer book is meant for one year of AP World History. You could divide it up, but I don't know if you would be happy even though Ways of the World is a good text. If you want something from 1200 forward, you can pick a Western Civ. college or AP text. The texts that are strictly AP European texts will start at about 1350. We like Lynn Hunt's Making of the West, but I am not sure if it comes in the AP version. We have individual volumes for India, Iran, and China for history and are continuing to add to the collection. My children have grandparents that grew up in China and my husband grew up in Japan, so focusing only on the West for history is unforgivable.

Because I am immersed in AP history books, I dream of developing history courses that are engaging and that use whole books devoted to a particular geographic region and are written by people who have lived in those cultures and who are experts. This has to be better than texts by committees.

On the volume issue, many of the college and AP texts are dense so they come in combined volumes, two separate volumes, or even three volumes sometimes.

I'm in a similar boat here, because my dh is Indian and we aren't even living in "western civilization". My kids' childhood and early life experiences are so so different from mine, lol...

I pretty much have it boiled down to either a high school text that we'd need to supplement more, or a college level text that we wouldn't need to as much:

1. Patterns of Interaction

High school level

iBooks version is flashy

would need to supplement more to split over two years

2. Spielvogel's World History (both volumes)

College level

Maybe less engaging?

More material, so less supplement needed

Looking at the iBook on my iPad, I think ds would find that really engaging, but it sure isn't very meaty compared to Spielvogel (obviously). I would need to supplement more.

Hmmm....