Menu

Tell me about Veritas Press Cards for US History

Meljoy

I am thinking about using Veritas Press flash card and maybe the song CD as we study American History this year. (the 5th and 6th grade set) Expolration through Current -though I am not sure how far we will get in a year.

Can anyone who had used them give me some opponions?

Do I NEED the homeschool TM too?

How about using the CD with a 10YO that is starting to feel the need to be 'cool' :tongue_smilie:?

We will be studying American History this year using various resources; making a notebook of copywork and dictation as well as working on a timeline, reading historical fiction, watching Teaching Company videos...Do I need these cards to pull it all together??? I keep thinking I am all through shopping (Ha, Ha)

Thanks for any enabling -whoops- I mean help! Melody

Well the VP cards made all the difference in the world for us. I think they did an amazing job of pulling everything together for us. We used the cards, the songs, and read the chapters from Hakim's History of US (which your library should have, if you don't want to buy them -- they're fantastic, but it can be pricey to buy the whole set!)... I have the teacher's manual / workbook on CD, and I would say that if you're not really planning to "do VP history", it should be unnecessary for you. There are things I like about having it -- but it's certainly not necessary for getting value out of the cards and the song.

We keep our cards in small-sized binders with sheet protectors (Staples stocks them in the right size), and I keep a copy of the lyrics for the songs in there too (which you'll have to type up for yourself if you don't get the teacher's manual). We try to go through the books of cards and sing the song while we turn pages pretty regularly, and then we'll look back through and I'll ask the kids to tell me everything they know about this event or that person...

As for being "cool", well... lol... I'd probably suggest to ds that he must listen to the song with you, but he doesn't have to sing it *if* he can recite the cards in order, lol. Singing makes it easier, but if he'd rather just figure out how to memorize them on his own, that's acceptable too.

We have been using the VP press cards this year and we use TOG for history. I bought the cards and cd and that was all. I have been very happy with them and my kids ask for them everyday. Our copy did come with the words typed out for us.

abbeyej that is a great idea using the small binders with page protectors.

hth

Last year we used the VP History Cards and we Loved them. There are resources listed on the back of each card for further reading. This is very helpful. The Teacher's manual is organized chronologically. You study one history card for each chapter. The TM contains projects, crafts, activities, games, worksheets, coloring pages and tests and quizes. There are also about 4 literature units that are outlined in the TM. The cards can certainly be used without the TM, but the Veritas manual certainly pulls it all together nicely.