Menu

Free online algebra and composition and ...

Brown University is also planning to offer free online courses to high schoolers. I just listened to a webinar yesterday and Brown sounds quite committed to offering a glimpse into the field of engineering to high school students. They quoted a statistic that only about half of the students who begin college in an engineering track actually complete their studies with an engineering major.

Here's an article I just Googled about Brown's plans: Brown University Creates Online Course for High School Students :001_smile: (oops, had the wrong link. I just fixed that!)

Thank you for posting the link. I am convinced the education enterprise is undergoing "creative destruction". The last couple of years I have watched the MOOC's, ed-reform and other trends in working to create artificial intelligence grading. These changes are often coming from innovators inside the ivy towers. Putting the genie back in the bottle is becoming increasingly unlikely. Last night I watched this panel http://www.aei.org/events/2013/05/14/college-unbound-higher-eds-future-in-the-innovation-age/ on a book recently released.

Nscribe there are definitely pros and cons to the online learning. If it's used as intended, it opens up a whole world of learning to those who wouldn't otherwise have access. I'd be interested to see how far artificial intelligence has come with regard to correcting/grading student's writing. I think that is one area where there truly is no substitute for teacher feedback, suggestions, etc.. But again, if the composition course couldn't be accessed any other way, then this is definitely better than nothing. Online courses at the CC still involve the full interaction of the professor when it comes to analyzing/improving/grading students' writing.

That panel must have been interesting. I agree that the genie won't be going back in the bottle. Thanks for linking the article ...

"In his new book “College (Un)bound: The Future of Higher Education and What It Means for Students,†Jeffrey Selingo, editor-at-large of the Chronicle of Higher Education, argues that America’s higher education system is broken but technology can transform it for the better. While the impact remains to be seen, “College (Un)Bound†emphasizes that one thing is certain: the class of 2020 will have radically different college experiences than their parents had."

That was an interesting article to read, TM. I can see a day in the not to distant future when the majority of students take their advanced classes with MOOCs and college at an actual campus with professors is once again for the elite.

I hope that's not the outcome Chucki, but I suppose it is possible. Some courses lend themselves very nicely to the online format, but for others, a live professor in person can't be beat. While I don't think it would be economically feasible for the free courses, I wouldn't be surprised if college online courses begin to offer more "in person over the internet" options for "meeting" individually with the professor. Right now there's discussion boards, e-mail and phone calls, but I haven't seen virtual office hours, with skyping or something similar, offered as yet.

Nscribe there are definitely pros and cons to the online learning.

Agreed.

I think the 21st Century student is going to have to be able to be an incredibly flexible and life-long learner. I also think the students beginning high school now 9/10th grade are in for a roller coaster. SAT being reformated, common core, online higher ed, increase dual enrollment pushes via College and Career Ready goals and so on. Learning to think critically and some content areas will remain entact, but the means of accessing and participating in education is in the midst of change. Usually change in education is slow, but a lot of forces have converged to expedite it all. I think homeschoolers may actually weather it all a bit better in the sense that we are inclined to deviancy from norms and engaging in adaptive, flexible behaviors. For those who have built their lives around traditional models, this could be a bumpy ride.