Menu

How different is NOEO from Sonlight Science?

EmilyGF

We tried using Sonlight science and didn't like the book selections. Meh. Especially hated the "First Encyclopedias."

Is NOEO basically a different Sonlight, or was it different? Not quite sure how to put my question...

Emily

Sorry, I offer no help, but I am interested in knowing the answer, too. :) Here's to bump it up for you. I don't care for Usborne books, some are ok, they just seem all over the place with splotches of info and nothing seems to flow. Is that what you didn't like about a lot of Sonlight selections? I have not used any Sonlight but when I look at the Usborne books that it includes... well, I quit looking.

I have only used Noeo but was given a SL science but I'm not sure I will use it (it is an old one too). But what I do know is that SL covers more topics and Noeo is focused on one area. SL has worksheets to do, Noeo has notebooking pages to do. I have heard SL experiments do not always match what you are studying- Noeo experiments are based on what they are learning.

Both programs are literature based. Both also seem to have a pre-made experiment kit to purchase. We really liked Noeo, but the same notebook pages got old, so we alternated week by week doing them. :001_smile: good luck! I hope someone can share using them both for you!

I've used SL K-2 science, NOEO biology II, and part of SL 5 science. I didn't feel that NOEO was significantly different from the elementary levels of SL science, though the activities/experiments do line up better in NOEO, and NOEO tends to have a few more biographies. Both use lots of Usborne books, so the feel is very similar. If you are looking for something slightly different, it might be a fit. If you are looking for something very different, I'm not sure NOEO is going to be that for you.

HTH some! Merry :-)