Menu

MP Geography -World I and U.S. - my .02

Last year my ds 13 and dd 10 worked through MP's Geography I. Fall semester they did this with a co-op group but we finished it second semster at home due to a scheduling conflict.

dd 10 worked through States and Capitals at the same time.

World geography comes with a student manual and the kids basically fill out maps , label and i.d. areas, become familiar with ancient names. We also had a World Geography Nat'l Geo book that we used along with and really went for detail on maps (mnts, rivers, oceans, etc), read further. The co-op teacher did the tests along with assigned a lit book and really turned it in to a unit study of sorts (she's a rocking teacher).

States and Capitals dd did all on her own. It was kind of her fun, "filler" hmwk that she could do independently, was easy and relaxing for her. She used a states and capitals coloring book to fill in the questions, added in flowers and flags on her own and colored her heart out. She asked to do this book.

Like all MP materials, they follow a straight forward format. There is plenty of memory work if you want to focus on that (we did). It doesn't take a ton of time but, again, like all MP materials, it's effective. My kids have always been map addicts but they have a greater sense of ease and mastery about it the Middle East and Africa now.

Geo II is on the list for fall. It is inexpensive, mastery based learning.

Good to know! I was debating getting the States and Capitals book for my rising 5th grader. This is our first year homeschooling, but I love the MP training schedule so I'm planning to work through their courses up to her correct grade curriculum. We will just finish one book when we start another instead of planning them for a set 36-week school schedule!

Thank you for sharing this, especially since we'll be starting MP Geo I this fall.

It just so happens that I purchased the whole set from MP, which includes the United States review, so I'm debating on whether or not to have my little man work through it... even though we haven't actually done the States & Capitals yet. He's familiar with many (to most) of the states and capitals, just from listening to Geo Songs and playing games, puzzles, and such, so I think it's doable. I plan on having us do the States & Capitals in 6th, during VP 1815 to the Present.