Menu

Trouble converting words into expressions (Math)

Does anyone have any tips for me? I feel my son does very well in math, but he does have a language disorder. Considering that, he is able to convert words to expressions pretty well except for the following: 5 MORE THAN a number, 6 LESS THAN 10. He is having a little trouble with INCREASED BY and DECREASED BY, but honestly, I think that's only because he is so confused about changing the order of the numbers with "more than" and "less than", that he's transferring the confusion to the other two. Any tricks of the trade? He knows whether he needs to add or subtract, the one thing he is having trouble with is getting the numbers in the correct order. So 5 MORE THAN a number would be 5 + x to him and 6 LESS THAN 10 would be 6 - 10. He's using TabletClass right now and he's taking notes and we highlighted these particular problems. I have noticed him making these same mistakes in the past and I've explained it about a million times, but it just isn't sinking in. (I cannot use my return button on this computer, so sorry about the one long paragraph.)

For 6 less than 10, you can use a sentence with money... "Suppose your sister has $10 and you have $6 less than she does. How much do you have?"

Contrast to a sentence with less... "You had $8 less the $2 you spent on a soda. How much do you have now?"

I find money helps a lot.

For 6 less than 10, you can use a sentence with money... "Suppose your sister has $10 and you have $6 less than she does. How much do you have?"

Contrast to a sentence with less... "You had $8 less the $2 you spent on a soda. How much do you have now?"

I find money helps a lot.

Thanks, Dana! I will try presenting the problems with money. I did try giving examples with jellybeans, but money would make a much stronger impression on this kid.

Let us know how it goes. I'd try explaining that whatever you're comparing things to goes first in the equation.

Ex: Sally is 4 inches taller than Joe. Joe's height + 4" = Sally's height

And Joe is after "than". lol

I'll let you know!

Thanks again.