Menu

Affordable Gr 1-3 French -?

Jay3fer

I can't believe I'm stuck on French - here in Canada, I thought I'd have a wealth of programs to choose from, but it appears that unless I have literal wealth, ie tons of money, there aren't any fantastic programs for early grades. My first pick might be Il etait... un petite grenouille or Alex & Zoe, but it seems like with all the books and the CD, those would be well over $100 for the first level.

(though I hear the Song School Latin folks are apparently going to be releasing a French program at some point in the future...)

Anyway - looking for something that can be a fun extra-language supplement, not too heavy on written work. (We are already doing Latin, which is light, and Hebrew, which is heavy.)

I've noticed that a lot of people here love L'art de Dire, but the look of the program totally leaves me cold: it just looks clunky and unprofessional compared to some of the slick French resources I grew up using in school. If you DO love it and want to recommend it, could you tell me specifically what you and your kids like best about it...? Maybe that would help me see the good in it. ;-)

We just finished L'Art de Dire and have begun L'Art de Lire 1. It is clunky, though I bought the download version. I prefer the paperback form of SSL 1 which we are also using. But so far Nallenart is getting it done for beginning French. For other subjects we use a mix of clunky and downloadable, and slicker books so none of us are very turned off by format. We also use Rosetta Stone (slicker), French books and CD's and what French of mine has survived 20 years of being dormant. Nallenart is good for structure and worksheet practice and affordability. I don't LOVE it, but do recommend it.

@JenniferLynn, I'm wondering... is there anything you get in the download that you don't have access to with the hard copy? I really dislike printing stuff off at home - to me, it's not "open and go" if I have to sit down and fiddle with the computer.

Anyone else want to weigh in? I think what's turning me off is that the art looks so bad in the Nallenart (ironic name, given the poor art quality) books...

Also, this authentically French-sounding person found a few egregious-sounding typos / errors in the "ecrire" level, which I found disturbing.