Menu

Mental Toughness as it pertains to Running (and other exercise)

"Being mentally tough is not something you can achieve by simply embracing a theory. Sitting around before a run and thinking about staying tough does not work. You must practice it. It's not something that can be lerned in terms of remaining true to an idea, such as thinking positively about it. You cannot dictate when you want to use it. It has to kick in during the most uncomfortable moments when your mind is usually receiving conflicting signals from the rest of your body.

"In running, it's the power to remain calm when pressed physically that separates those who get the most out of their abilities from the underachievers. It's not easy to accomplish, but well worth it when you cross the finish line and achieve your goal." Matt Greenwald, The Smart Runner's Handbook, @1995 Open Road Publishing.

That really helped me this morning. I hope it helps someone else.

Once I am actually doing the exercise I am fine. Sometimes getting out there is the difficult part. Now I just tell myself OK you are going to feel wonderful as soon as you get started. Now it's a bit easier to get going. Also the results I am presently seeing are very encouraging. I am going to have to work at staying motivated once I have achieved my weight goal. I am thinking about having a goal of participating in a 5K race of something.

Ooooh! Do you have titles? Links to Amazon??? Pick that girl's brain for me :D

It's interesting how mental and physical wellness all goes hand in hand to some extent. I definitely see it in my own life although I will admit that I have no extenuating circumstances to either of these areas in my life.

It's interesting how mental and physical wellness all goes hand in hand to some extent. I definitely see it in my own life although I will admit that I have no extenuating circumstances to either of these areas in my life.

I know with my running, I need to train my brain as much as (if not MORE THAN) my body. My legs are fine; my lungs are keeping up. It's me brain that's killin' me!!!!!

Negative talk stinks.