Menu

More questions about Destinos

I've been researching and reading a lot about Destinos, including past threads on this board, and I've basically decided on Destinos for our Spanish program. However, I'm still confused about something. I see some people recommending the Second Edition and others recommending the Second Edition of the Alternate Edition. What are the main differences between these two? Are there advantages of one over the other? Also, does the workbook/study guide include answers? If so, in all editions or just a certain one?

• 1 month later...

I've been researching and reading a lot about Destinos, including past threads on this board, and I've basically decided on Destinos for our Spanish program. However, I'm still confused about something. I see some people recommending the Second Edition and others recommending the Second Edition of the Alternate Edition. What are the main differences between these two? Are there advantages of one over the other? Also, does the workbook/study guide include answers? If so, in all editions or just a certain one?

The Second Edition of the Alternate Edition workbook does have answers in the back. I can't answer any other questions. My DH was going to take Spanish then dropped out so I just have the first set of books. I have been thinking about using it for myself though.

Can you tell me where you have been getting your materials and where I might find a syllabus?

The Second Edition of the Alternate Edition of Destinos is virtually the same in content but has a few added exercises and activities designed for the classroom. The Second Edition was designed for the online environment so it does not have paired activity or group interaction exercises included in the text of the Alternate Edition. Both sets have answers in the back (text and workbook) but you will find "answers will vary" often, especially as you get deeper into the text and the students are expected to write short sentence responses or personal responses to a general question.

Completing all 52 lessons is the equivalent of 2 years of High School Spanish. You can probably find syllabi by googling for it since this has been a text used in community colleges for some years or you may create your own. For HS, figure on 26 weeks to cover the first half of the book in one year with an additional week or two thrown in for mid term and final review.

HTH

Completing all 52 lessons is the equivalent of 2 years of High School Spanish. You can probably find syllabi by googling for it since this has been a text used in community colleges for some years or you may create your own. For HS, figure on 26 weeks to cover the first half of the book in one year with an additional week or two thrown in for mid term and final review.

HTH

I seriously doubt this is true at our local high school. Based on what's covered by the end of Destinos, I suspect that the equivalent at our local school is about 4 years.

The equivalent back when I was in high school might have been 3 years -- based on when we finished getting through the grammar. I also knew of a school in IL where Destinos was used through the end of the 3rd year.

For most of us, it's probably best just to work through it at a good pace and not worry about finishing it in 2 years, even if that was the intent of writers. This would be why most colleges use placement tests for foreign language.

I seriously doubt this is true at our local high school. Based on what's covered by the end of Destinos, I suspect that the equivalent at our local school is about 4 years.

The equivalent back when I was in high school might have been 3 years -- based on when we finished getting through the grammar. I also knew of a school in IL where Destinos was used through the end of the 3rd year.

For most of us, it's probably best just to work through it at a good pace and not worry about finishing it in 2 years, even if that was the intent of writers. This would be why most colleges use placement tests for foreign language.

I just finished teaching a homeschool class with this course because the co-op requested it. I also teach/have taught with several other curriculum and belong to a national association of teachers (private,public, homeschool) who are in constant discussion about pacing :)

Destinos touches on many grammar topics quickly but it does not cover them in depth, so it does not surprise me that a school would spread it out over 3 years and supplement as they go. The content is still not more than the equivalent of a good college prep Spanish II in my area. It may be because Spanish is a common language in my state, but I guess the pacing may be a little faster here than it seems to be elsewhere

Also, public schools do what they have to do; and the beauty of homeschooling is that we can, too. Taking it at your own pace is great advice and if doing that, I would suggest supplementing the text exercises. I don't think there is enough in the workbook and textbook for adequate practice. Destinos is popular so there are many supplementary resources. Quia.com and Quizlet.com have great practice exercises already set up for you, and many to choose from, too.