Menu

Need Math help for non-mathy ds13

MunRoLy

I have 4 kiddos I’m asking for math advice for…  Here’s kiddo #2

Ds13 did Everyday Math through  5th grade, although he was not in the 5th grade book.  He was probably in the 4th.  Math does not come easily to him.  It was always a struggle.  We left Everyday Math forever and this year he was working through Life of Fred “Fractions and Decimals†and “Percentsâ€.

It’s been a nice change, but since math does not come easily to him it’s been frustrating.  I really enjoy LOF, but I think it works better for kids who grasp math concepts easily.  If you read my post on dd10…they are very similar.  He is incredibly creative and loves to write stories, novels, plays…  Math, not so much.

Over the summer I’m going to have him go through “Key to Percents†and as he starts his 8th grade year I think he should start pre-algebra… He would not be ready for algebra.

I really don’t know what curriculum to use for him!  Dh and I are math majors and math comes easily for us.  Not so easily for ds13! 

Please offer any suggestions!

I don't know what kind of learner your ds is but math did not come easy to me and I needed a very sequential approach.

I previewed Math in Focus and to me, it gave a step by step lesson to each concept. Granted I only looked at the younger grades, I felt that this would have worked for me if I were back in school.

My dd13 is alot like this. We tried and failed at several different programs including LOF. She loved it but just didn't get it. Then we did a year with Systematic Mathematics. I can not tell you the difference it made. Some may have been her age, this was 6th grade, but she finally began to actually GET concepts. After completing SM level 6 we moved to Lial's Pre-Algebra which she has excelled at. The only reason we switched was because watching the videos on the laptop was not working for her. I can't recommend this program enough, especially to someone who is struggling to understand things.