Menu

What would you do with this child?

My 15 year old just finished 9th grade and asked if he could graduate a year early. He is a bit advanced in math and science, so I don't see that being an issue. We had planned for him doing CC science and math in 11th and 12th anyway. This past school year we started with TOG Year 1, but only made it until Christmas. Then we switched to Notgrass and did their semester economics course. I am planning BP/MOH/Smarr year 2 this coming school year(grade 10) and the rest of his history/Lit:: year 3 in 11th and year 4 in 12th. But if he graduates early he will miss year 4. Should I just do a textbook for US(10th) and World(11th) and be done with history? He is heading into engineering.

I would first call the admissions people at the colleges your son is looking at and make sure you have every course requirement covered. Although he may have math and science covered, make sure your other core curriculum bases are covered. Usually 4 credits minimum are required for English. As far as history, it is up to you. If you feel that his 20th century history and literature have been covered so he has a high school equivalence of this time period I wouldn't sweat it. You could also maybe do a combined year 3 &4 with highlights from both. If you feel that he will be more prepared with the textbook, that is up to you.

I would first call the admissions people at the colleges your son is looking at and make sure you have every course requirement covered. Although he may have math and science covered, make sure your other core curriculum bases are covered. Usually 4 credits minimum are required for English. As far as history, it is up to you. If you feel that his 20th century history and literature have been covered so he has a high school equivalence of this time period I wouldn't sweat it. You could also maybe do a combined year 3 &4 with highlights from both. If you feel that he will be more prepared with the textbook, that is up to you.

Thank you!

I would ask him to keep an open mind on wanting to graduate early. If you stick to your original plan, he may find that doing dual enrollment satisfies his desire to be done with high school and he'll be able to have an even stronger transcript by the time he graduates. He may want to do one of the history courses at the CC so it may transfer to his 4-year.

What about calculus? I would definitely want my child to take high school calculus before going into engineering calculus at college.

He will take Cal 1 and 2 in 11th grade at the CC, along with Physics and another higher level science.

I would ask him to keep an open mind on wanting to graduate early. If you stick to your original plan, he may find that doing dual enrollment satisfies his desire to be done with high school and he'll be able to have an even stronger transcript by the time he graduates. He may want to do one of the history courses at the CC so it may transfer to his 4-year.

Good point. I did ask him why he wanted to rush graduating and he didn't really have a good answer, so maybe dual enrollment will be a good fit for him. My other older boys, who went into engineering, did dual enrollment and it worked really nice for them.

Dual enrollment has been a great fit here. Hoping your son has a good experience too! No BTDT experience with engineering, but I hear it's very intense. While credits may or may not be accepted, generally they can test out of math courses and the general education classes may transfer depending on the school. Anything which makes them better at math and lightens the load should be helpful for admission and success in engineering.

I wouldn't graduate your child early.

I would give more interesting classes that fit with

the child's career goals.

Math:

Once all the maths are finished,

there is always another math to take (AP Stats, Linear Algebra, etc.) (1 credit each)

Science:

Once all the sciences are finished (Bio, Chem, Phy) you can take Advanced

Chem, Advanced Physics, Astronomy, etc. (1 credit each)

Other:

I wouldn't take extra English classes for a future engineer if your child has

already taken 4 classes; same with Social Sciences--but do check you have 4 English

and at least 3 Social Science.

But I would not graduate him early.

Last Year Load:

If there is room in the schedule (plan on a full load the last year), add one

or two of the sciences I mentioned above, one or two of the maths I mentioned

above.

Comp.Sci:

You can also add Computer Science. There are at least 2 credits'

worth of Comp.Sci. that would be useful to a future engineer (Python - 0.5 credit,

Java - 0.5 credit, AP Comp.Sci. - 1 credit).