Menu

Anybody use this for economics...

http://www.amazon.co... teaching guide

Economics: A Self-Teaching Guide.

Does anybody have experience with this book? Dd will have a rigorous science/math load next year, so we are looking for a clear, streamlined economics book to get the job done. This book seems to fit the bill, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has used it. I'm open to other suggestions as well.

I took a look at the book and it appears to be pretty good. It appears to be quite content rich and looks far better then the dummies book which I own. It actually tempts me and I thought I was done purchasing for this subject.;)

There is a free pdf book which we have used and enjoyed called Lessons for the Young Economist which I would pair it with to fill things out a bit. Give the facts a bit of narrative content. I do think something like that paired with your book is plenty.

If you wanted an easy extension IEW has an economics based writing course which dd is enjoying. It seemed like a good way to get a nice assortment of essays on the topic to add to her class.

I managed to look at abeka and one other(cannot remember what company) for high school econ when back in the states. Not bad but more of a consumer finance class for lack of a better description. Not what I wanted. They had already done the work as part of other courses. I was an econ major way back in another life so I ended up with college texts purchased cheap and will do my own.

There is a free pdf book which we have used and enjoyed called Lessons for the Young Economist which I would pair it with to fill things out a bit. Give the facts a bit of narrative content. I do think something like that paired with your book is plenty.

Thank you for the suggestions. I noticed that the Lessons for the Young Economist is described as Austrian economic theory. I know nothing about the different schools of economic theory. How does it differ from the typical economics taught in textbooks?

Most college textbooks are going to be more from more the Keynesian point of view I would imagine. More government control of the money supply being desirable . Austrians are more market driven economy. Individual determining the result. It will depend on the school. So much controversy over all of this right now ...

I went to a small, fairly conservative school where the Professors all had at least one degree from the University of Chicago so my background is more Thomas Sowell and his Basic Economics book (would also be a great choice just not free ;)). Thomas Sowell is closely aligned with the Austrians--they quote him frequently :).

You should teach what you believe in because econ is not concrete like math. The young economist book simply has some great easy to understand examples which we enjoyed that do illustrate basic supply and demand theory etc well. Not overly math based which made it easy for my son to grasp the concepts. Good intro imo.