Menu

Waldorf Essentials? K and 1st grade questions

BugsMama

Has anyone used this? (Especially k?)

And does anyone know if first grade includes circle time?

I'm trying to decide if I want to get this, or invest in Oak Meadow K. I have a two year old I'd like to include in some fun, and a New Ker who can already read simple words.

Advice?

I own the series.

It is a complete curriculum...I guess...if you are truly teaching Waldorf style. There isn't a whole lot there for a whole 1st grade year, if you are used to workbooks and textbooks.

The downloads go on sale occasionally, for a very good price. They ARE enough for some families. The kindergarten curriculum is useful for moms teaching all grades as there is info there that is not repeated in the upper grades. I wouldn't want to teach one grade without access to all the grades, but I tend to be like that in general. I need to see the big picture.

The author is a wonderful person. There is a free yahoo group.

I don't need full so much as I want a rhythm- I'm looking for circle time, sounds, crafts, that are nature centric. I want to celebrate spring and summer and fall. I like the idea of the nature table- I'm just trying to find something to follow for those sorts of things, if that makes any sense.

The kindergarten has SO much more of the rhythm activities, than the later grades. And then the later grades build on the kindergarten as needed.

I believe that Waldorf is best started in the HOME lifestyle, before trying to incorporate it into the curriculum. If it's a good fit for the HOME them it might be a good fit for "school".

It's the rhythm that attracts me, not the stuff. I no longer use a single Waldorf ITEM. The crayons stain. Watercolors just aren't my thing. We make plain knit stitch scarfs and prayer shawls as a self-soothing activity, but not anything further. I do like the handkerchief dolls and stick and rocks and acorns for unexpected child visitors, but I think it often does more harm than good when it comes to purchasing Waldorf toys. General minimalism is good, but not the legalistic one-sized-fits-all kind.

The downloadable curriculum on sale is worth the price. I don't actually USE it, but...it wasn't a totally wasted purchase.

I don't need full so much as I want a rhythm- I'm looking for circle time, sounds, crafts, that are nature centric. I want to celebrate spring and summer and fall. I like the idea of the nature table- I'm just trying to find something to follow for those sorts of things, if that makes any sense.

I understand. I always feel called to Waldorf and then something always drives me from it.

Specifically, since I have kids your kid's age, I would say that you may find the OM stuff to be too easy. I've got The Heart of Learning and the Teacher's Process book and I'm not impressed. I also have OM4 and some nature crafts and clay books, which are a bit better, but nothing I couldn't find somewhere else for cheaper.

To do some of the same things without OM (I don't know anything about Essentials) you could use the picture book LMNOP. Also Earthways has seasonal nature craft ideas. I've used that book heavily. It's definitely more focused on crafts and nature table etc than anything specifically Waldorf.

I've had a few Little Acorn Learning pdfs. They're pretty helpful for circle time and crafts etc. The book You Are Your Child's First Teacher is a must imo for someone with little kids interested in Waldorf.

Combining your seasonal nature crafts with Outdoor Hour Challenges nature studies is another good idea for learning with the seasons.

I don't like the Waldorf art stuff. Something about the way they watercolor and chalk draw etc makes me feel nauseous. I just don't like it. Don't think it looks very good either. We don't knit or crochet even though we have intentions of learning. Just not really our thing.

I agree with Hunter. I try hard to avoid the "must buy and have this particular expensive thing" to be really doing Waldorf (or Montessori which falls into the same trap).

I also honestly believe one could do nature style crafts and a nature table without anything Waldorf-esque at all. Just set up a table top or top of bookshelf and let your child add nature treasures they find, add some field guides or books, add some nature inspired crafts they do and add some loupes or magnifying glasses and there you go.

BYW I know there's this Waldorf thing about keeping little kids away from magnifying and microscopes and such because of the way they see the world. I cal BS on all that bunk. I personally have no interest in a nature table that is set up as some sort of shrine to nature, I much rather it be something interactive that my kids can explore, dissect, observe, draw, whatever.

Thanks! You're right, I probably can put it together myself. LOL I just don't want to! hehe!

I'll check out the resources you listed, thank you! :)

Anyone else with Earth centered, playful, fun, preschool/kinder type ideas or programs?

I think the sale is on now. I will have to look through my emails to see, it might have just ended. I will have to find my files, but no, there is no detailed circle time from what I recall. Idk about K, but 1st talks about changes to circle time. The free Yahoo group for Marsha Johnson DOES have free detailed circle times for those ages, though.

Oak Meadow K would be more detailed and "full" for you, but there is a considerable cost difference. WE K would be fine, otherwise. You will just have to add in maybe a little more. But I don't recall seeing circle time instructions in my OM materials, either. I will have to look through them again.

I recommend this book for crafts: http://www.amazon.co...ays crafts kids

Little Acorn has Pre-k guides which are good and seasonal, but much more expensive, considering they are month by month, and a lot is angled towards a large group of kids, but overall they are fun ways to celebrate rhythm, and the caregivers guide is wonderful.

Here is another one: http://thebearthinst...g KG SAMPLE.pdf

They look really good, but I admit the pdfs confuse me in layout a little. But IMO, it is much fuller than ALGF/Waldorf Essentials.

This looks to be free:

http://waldorfenrichmentmembers.weebly.com/uploads/2/4/6/4/246494/earthschooling_preschool.pdf

I have the first grade of Waldorf essentials, it has a lot of good info in it. It takes you through the whole alphabet with stories and numbers and order of operatins roman numeral, form drwaing etc. We aren't strictly Waldorf, much more classical, but I to have always been drawn to it. My kids however LOVE it. They go to a Waldorf Preschool once a week and even my 7 year old begs to go( She reads at 10th grade reading level) They love the circle time, the crafts, everything about it. Also we have a few friends who homeschool exclusively waldorf and whenever we get together for festivals etc my kids LOVE the stories, the songs etc. Another book I would highly recommend besides the one preiously mentioned is The Children's Year. My kids have done lots of projects from it and love them. lots of sewing and paper folding etc mixed in with songs and stories for the seasons. Also the yahoo groups are great as is youtube ( for mom to learn form drawing, wet on wet watercolor etc) http://www.amazon.com/The-Childrens-Year-Seasonal-Festivals/dp/1903458595

I have the first grade of Waldorf essentials, it has a lot of good info in it. It takes you through the whole alphabet with stories and numbers and order of operatins roman numeral, form drwaing etc. We aren't strictly Waldorf, much more classical, but I to have always been drawn to it. My kids however LOVE it. They go to a Waldorf Preschool once a week and even my 7 year old begs to go( She reads at 10th grade reading level) They love the circle time, the crafts, everything about it. Also we have a few friends who homeschool exclusively waldorf and whenever we get together for festivals etc my kids LOVE the stories, the songs etc. Another book I would highly recommend besides the one preiously mentioned is The Children's Year. My kids have done lots of projects from it and love them. lots of sewing and paper folding etc mixed in with songs and stories for the seasons. Also the yahoo groups are great as is youtube ( for mom to learn form drawing, wet on wet watercolor etc) http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/1903458595

Welcome Newbie! :party: :grouphug: . The forum needs more experienced Waldorf users to answer the Waldorf questions. I hope you stick around awhile!

I really loved the Oak Meadow Kindy book. The stories in it...some of them were just so well done...that all of my kids request them again.

Donna (at Christopherus) has a great Kindy book as well. Much more affordable. I liked her Kindy book better than Melissa's Kindy/1st grade stuff...but both are good. However, for the older grades, Melissa's stuff works better for me. It's more affordable and works better with my non-hard core/blended Waldorf philosophy.

As for OM1st grade, it is very basic...the stories that relate to each letter, etc. BUT, you can use it at your child's level too. DD is already reading quite well, so we might do some dictation/narration using the stories... copy work using a line from the story...etc. The stories still, IMHO, nurture them. The crafts and science and all add to that.

If you know the story about the two wolves we have fighting in us, well with me, it's two educational philosophies. :) Waldorf speaks to my soul.... especially for the early grades. I really don't think my kids need to master ancient history facts in 1st grade to ensure their future success. (Even if mummifying a chicken or apple is super fun. :)) I do believe that early grades should be more about nurturing, exploring, arts and crafts, etc. BUT, I also love the more academic focus. I wish I had taken more than a year of Latin. I love living books. I do think that Waldorf math, while kind of feel good, misses something.

So...I kind of combine the two...and am peace with it now. I'll always be drawn to the more traditional WTM curriculum for the early years...but I'm really really trying to slow down (for the most part). We can still start our 4 year history cycles in 5th grade and be just fine.