Menu

Can you help me with placement in Singapore math?

kandty

I'm considering Primary Math from Singapore for next year with my youngest. He is a rising fourth grader. We are currently working on multiplication and will finish this week. We will not get into division. He is good at mental math and has basic math facts down, except we are still working on multiplication and haven't touched division. Looking at everything online I'm thinking about placing him in 3A. About half (maybe more) will be review. 3B looks to getting into some new stuff. It's the division that is throwing me off since it looks like that is taught in level 2. I looked at the placement test for 2a and it's too easy and 2b was ok, but the fractions may be more than what he has learned yet (plus the division). Should I go back to 2B or just start in 3A or 3B or ??? I really can't afford to go back too far and then move fast or skip stuff he knows. I guess I'm asking if topics are retaught or just reviewed? Another question of course is the Standards or US edition? I was going with Standard just because it said it had more review, but locally everyone has the US. Does it really matter?

I am also moving to Singapore Math this fall for my rising 4th grader. I used the placement test for him to decide the book we'll start with. I have a copy of 4A and it seems to have some topics he has covered before (Abeka 3) but some new ones. I do think there is some review, but if he hasn't started division or fractions, I would go with an earlier book. I think 3A is a good start - you can always back up to 2B if he seems to have difficulties. Have you given him the placement test? He might surprise you on how he does! ;) I picked up a used copy on the classifieds board before I decided for sure - I was wavering between 3B and 4A, but after I was able to review the book in person, I knew he'd do fine with 4A.

For the edition - I would definitely go with the Standards one. My understanding is that it is considered the "more rigorous" of the 2 programs, has a better teacher guide (the "home instructor's guide" or HIG) and includes some additional concepts/material.

Good luck! I'm hoping this is a good switch for us, but maybe someone with some "been there, done that" advice will also weigh-in. ;)

Honestly, I would take him through some of the single-topic Math Mammoth "blue" worktexts and then re-test. Specifically, I would do Multiplication 2, Division 1, Division 2, and Fractions 1. Maria Miller's explanations are better than the ones in Singapore, even with the HIG. After doing those 4 MM books, he'd probably test into one of the SM 4B or possibly even 5A.

Placement tests link.

There is some review when a concept returns in a later book but there isn't much. I think you'd be okay trying to start in 3A, but I'd also really recommend giving the placement test first.

I have been very happy with the Standards edition, but there has been talk about revisions due to Common Core. Check threads here and comments on the Singapore forums.

Honestly, I would take him through some of the single-topic Math Mammoth "blue" worktexts and then re-test. Specifically, I would do Multiplication 2, Division 1, Division 2, and Fractions 1. Maria Miller's explanations are better than the ones in Singapore, even with the HIG. After doing those 4 MM books, he'd probably test into one of the SM 4B or possibly even 5A.

I had considered doing this too since I have the blue series. MM makes my head spin, but I could withstand it for a few weeks. Ds doesn't mind it. We are using (almost complete) Multiplication 1 right now. This would be the cheaper option for me since MM is already on hand.

I had considered doing this too since I have the blue series. MM makes my head spin, but I could withstand it for a few weeks. Ds doesn't mind it. We are using (almost complete) Multiplication 1 right now. This would be the cheaper option for me since MM is already on hand.

Especially in this case, I would use MM to see if you can get caught up to grade-level in Singapore (bearing in mind that Singapore has an advanced scope & sequence).

I switched over to Singapore 1A with my then 2nd grader. She was at a higher level with her pervious maths program, but there were a few concepts that she hadn't picked up, hence the reason for going back a little. In 12mths though, she has progressed thru 1A, 1B, 2A and is now onto 2B. So even though I had to take her back a little, she is moving thru the program rather fast. We are in Australia so she will finish grade 3 in December this year. I anticipate a speedy movement thru 2B then 3A, and perhaps even be onto 3B by the end of grade 3. We love Singapore!!! I find that some chapters, she gets it and moves thru extremely fast, then others chapters, she needs a little longer to grasp the concept. My grade 1 child has completed both early bird maths, 1A and is onto 1B - she loves doing her Singapore math too :)