Menu

How do I fit it all in?

Teach the survey subjects of social studies/ history/ geography and science all together. You can also do poetry, read-alouds, crafts, and artist/ composer studies as a family.

Teach the mastery subjects of math and language arts individually. :)

HTH-

Mandy

Combine where you can. You can probably do social studies and science with your older two together, and the little one listening in when he/she is able. The deal with our littles is that they are welcome to be a part of things or not, as they choose, no pressure either way, but if they choose to be with us, they have to be quiet and respectful while we're reading out loud. (Coloring, drawing, playdough, mealtimes -- those help keep everyone quiet and listening.) I use a lot of picture books too; for instance, we did Story of the World Volume 1 this year, and I supplemented it with picture books for reinforcement for the younger ones, and independently-read chapter books for my fifth grader.

If you can have a few things that are independent for your third grader, that will help. With my second grader this year, I would go over math with him and then let him work independently until/unless he had a question.

My day went something like this this past year (and I expect it will be fairly similar next year):

-Everyone ate breakfast together. As I finished, I read something to the still-eating (and thus still-quiet) crew -- poetry, a Bible story, maybe a history or science book or chapter, something from our hymn study book. Sometimes a couple of things; it just depended on the day.

-The 4, 8, and 11 yo's cleared their dishes and brushed their teeth. The 8 and 11 yo's started some independent work, usually reading, while the 4yo found something non-distracting to do. I did set out early learning activities for him a lot of times, but often he just wanted to look at his books or play with his trains or something. During this time, I cleaned up the kitchen and got the baby ready for the day.

-I took some time with each of the older children to do the Mom-intensive subjects with them. If the other older child ran out of things to do, he/she could go play for a bit (or work on the computer typing program we have).

-I tried to have some time to do stuff with the 4yo, even just reading picture books, but it would depend on how long things took with the older kids.

-At some point, I did the group subjects, whenever I had a chance.

I would pick the most important subjects to you and get a routine going with those first -- maybe one or two subjects at a time, adding more when you feel that the expected routine is solid for the first few subjects.

1) Be aware of mom-intensiveness in the curricula you select. Teaching 3 kids vs 1 changes things. The younger kids will be completely dependent, most likely, but the 3rd grader may be able to work some exercises independently after you have gone over the lesson.

2) Start with the youngest to fill up the "mama cup".

3) Combine content subjects if possible.

I'm going 3rd, K, and PreK3 this year. I start with the youngest, spending 5-10 minutes with him. Meanwhile, my oldest works on handwriting and spelling, both of which are independent workbooks. Then I teach the middle child. K seatwork takes about half an hour. When I'm done with that, younger kids go play while I work with the oldest. After lunch, I read aloud to K'er, then finish up anything I needed to do with 3rd grader. Mine are not currently combined in content subjects, but next year I will get some picture books for the then first grader that go with what my then 4th grader will be doing. My first grader will have a couple extra subjects, but I'm still keeping content light for him (science is magic school bus videos).

I've had preschool, 2nd and 4th this year, with a toddler causing havoc in the other room, and a 7th and 8th grader at the other end of the table. :scared:

With just the combo you listed, I'd start with the preschooler. Fill her up with some snuggles, bit of phonics, have her help you with dishes or laundry, or some other devoted momma time. When her momma cup is full send her on her merry way to play and call the 1st grader in. Start with the most mom-dependent language arts lessons, and put math right after them. After you've taught the math lesson and made sure she understands what she's supposed to do in her seatwork, have her work independently at your elbow. Then call the oldest to your other elbow and start with her most mom-dependent lessons. Keep one eye on the first grader's math lesson, and send her to play or read independently when she finishes. When the third grader gets to a somewhat independent place, call the first grader back to wrap up any loose strings and pull a puzzle out for the preschooler. Finish up the third grader. Aim to have just language arts and math done by lunch.

After lunch is family wide quiet time. Independent reading time for big ones, naps for little ones. Non-readers can rest in a reading nook with a pile of picture books.

After quiet time bring the older two together for a combined science or history lesson. Let the preschooler jump in if she wants to, but don't require it. (My little ones did history M, W, F and science T, Th)

Expect interruptions, but work on training them not to mess up a sibling's lesson. Make an interrupt rule and enforce it. In our family we gently lay a hand on the shoulder of the busy person we want to talk to rather than butting into the conversation or activity.

Teach the survey subjects of social studies/ history/ geography and science all together. You can also do poetry, read-alouds, crafts, and artist/ composer studies as a family.

Teach the mastery subjects of math and language arts individually. :)

HTH-

Mandy

Yep...this is what we do...

Thanks :) Yes we do do some subjects together: Bible, Calendar, History, Science, Art, Poetry, Literature. I guess I was looking for ways that other families fit in all their Math and LA as they really need mummy :) We usually do math together, with mummy going to and fro between each child. Then I had scheduled different time slots throughout the morning to cover LA individually with each child. I only drafted up this new way last week, so I will give it a couple of weeks and see how we go. Thanks again