Menu

Life Nature Library "Evolution"?

Oh boy, another evolution thread. ;)

A straightforward question, for those who have more science background than myself, which would be nearly anyone.

Middle Girl is reading the battered 1964 "Evolution" volume from the Time/Life Nature Library series. She's following the genetics discussion pretty well (thank you, Isaac Asimov). This is the only book on evolution for her reading and comprehension level I've ever found.

Query: Have there been advances in the understanding of evolution, natural selection, genetics (I know we know a lot more about DNA now), such that 1964 just makes the book too old? Or is it probably good enough for a science-y ten-year-old who's following it and enjoying it?

ETA: My degree is in English literature. Talk to me about science like I'm an idiot.

Well, I'm pretty sure there have been many advancements, however, that wouldn't stop me from letting her read it. Not only would I let her read it, but if she's understanding it, I'd turn it into a project. Have her research the advancements made based on what's written in the 1964 version. Sort of like a pro/con or a compare/contrast paper.

It doesn't have to be anything fancy for a 10 year old, but it could be really neat to learn with her the things she finds different now as compared to then. As for figuring out what's different, simply google specific key phrases from the book. That should give you a great start.

I don't thnk it's age necessarily rules it out as a good place to start, but they've certainly made additional discoveries since 1964 that have changed or furthered our understanding have you checked the annotated book list over at Charlie's playhouse (http://www.charliesplayhouse.com/downloads/books-on-evolution-small.pdf)? They have age ranges listed next to the books (4-8, 9-12, 10-Adult) and quick blurbs about the books so you can get a feel for whether or not they'd be a good match for your family. We've picked up several of the books on the list and have enjoyed them all.

Not quite what you're asking, but if she likes graphic novels, you might want to track down Jay Hosler's The Sandwalk Adventures. It's about a couple follicle mites living in Darwin's eyebrow who think he is the Creator. There's a hilarious cosmology around this. Darwin does his best to disabuse then of this notion by explaining how evolution works.

A bit more technical, but still fun, are The Stuff of Life and its companion volume Evolution: Life on Earth. These could help fill in some of the advances from the last 50 years.