Menu

Graduation Question: If Pomp and Circumstance is played ....

We didn't have a recessional for high school. The caps went in the air, the band played the coda for Pomp & Circumstance, and everyone scattered. (useless fact: our band director had been enamored with the way P&C sounds when played by a pipe organ, so he always wanted the band to try to sound like that and insisted on an incredibly slow tempo for it).

For university, they didn't play Pomp & Circumstance for either. I'm trying to remember what they did play. One was a familiar piece with a trumpet solo. I remember every time I went to a ceremony, I felt for the guy having to play that over and over without a break while 800 people walked in.

I've been in the band/orchestra 6 times for graduations and all six times we played P&C for the processional and something else festive and march like for a recessional. We played something different each year since it was the only way to be creative with graduation music.