Menu

Want to homeschool my kiddo with sensory issues

Guest samia sibley

Guest samia sibley

I'm in the Albuquerque,NM area and I want to find ways to educate my three year old that may have autism. She's very high functioning and has numerous sensory issues. She's incredibly smart but does not have much in terms of expessive speech. I already know she does not fit into the 'one size fits all' education the public schools seem to give out. I would love to be able to take over more of her education so she could be taught by somebody who thinks her possibilities are endless as opposed to somebody who has already decided she'll never go far.

I want to homeschool but I also need to find her resources for speech therapy and physical therapy. We don't know where to look and where to get started for the therapies. I have been researching The Well Trained Mind and am excited to get started.

Any suggestions? Any other local groups I can get connected with?

Try the special needs board. I'm pretty sure there are several people in similar situations. :)

My suggestion is to get her tested for retained baby reflexes. They cause some behaviours commonly associated with the autism spectrum and sensory issues as well.

Welcome to the board. :)