Menu

Recent college grads---poor interviewing skills

I think you can find oddball behavior at interviews across all age ranges. I'm not sure I believe that the new generation displays that much more than the previous generation.

I work with university undergraduate and graduate students, primarily in STEM majors, and I am repeatedly blown away by how intelligent, poised, professional, and socially skilled they are. I recently attended an industry conference with a couple dozen of our students where they presented the research work they are doing and networked with attending companies and government agencies. We received a steady stream of positive feedback from other conference attendees. They were uniformly impressed by these students.

Yes, this new generation does do some things differently but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are wrong. One student gently badgered me into learning to text when I kept asking her to call me instead. I did learn how to text on my old-style phone and she became my cheerleader. They are also leading the way in getting my organization onto social media and turning our staid/static website into an interactive destination.

There is no need to despair for the youth today. They are doing just fine.

Pegasus