Menu

AOP after Singapore 6A?

HI :)

I'm looking at options for after 6A (or maybe 6B). My son will be 10 this summer and I'm lining up what he'll do for Algebra/Pre-Algebra. He's fairly solid with his math concepts and tends to understand math without too much instruction.

I'm looking at AOP or something similar. We'd like for my husband to teach him at night, and then he'll do his lesson at school the next day. This is agreeable to his school.

He totally thinks like Singapore Math and intuitively understands the problems so far. (He'll soon finish 4B) He also reads Beast Academy, though below grade level, for fun.

Really wanting a program that he can use through Highschool. We're also thinking about dual credit with some college for highschool.

Thanks for ideas :)

I encourage you to consider the upper level Singapore program Discovering Mathematics. I have done an older program, New Elementary Math with my two and they've done great. My oldest was able to step into AoPS Pre-Calculus without a quiver.

I think AOPS is a solid program and worth a try. There are some similarities to Singapore thinking.

That said, my ds did well in Singapore and did not care for AOPS. I think one of the dis-similar aspects is that Singapore clearly presents many ways to do things and a mathy kid can learn the ways but then do problems any way he chooses; whereas, AOPS is one of those programs where they don't present all that much, they direct students along a certain path and expect good students to find their way to the expected results. Well, that's the best I can explain it.

My son's path has gone well for us:

7th grade Singapore 6A/B, lots of drill through fractions, math team, and one lesson of Singapore NEM on negative numbers

Math Relief Algebra 1 (our favorite :) ) www.mathrelief.com

Geometry (his preference was 2nd semester with Teaching Textbooks, but we also did 1st semester of Jacobs)

Math Relief Algebra 2 & a little AOPS

11th grade dual credit Algebra 3 & dual credit Precalc

The Singapore idea is also solid, and I've heard the newer series like DM are more homeschool-friendly in terms of lesson plans. It was a little hard for me to figure out how to schedule when we tried the one lesson.

Julie

I would also suggest continuing with Singapore. We have used both NEM and DM. I would suggest DM over NEM. We found it to be a bit more enjoyable and had more helps. Also throw in some AOPS courses for fun. All of my boys went on to concurrent college courses without any problems. They began with College Algebra in 11th - that was the highest level math course they would allow a concurrent student to take.