Menu

How to find a good summer camp?

jenn-

My dd's summer just opened wide up as we had to pull her out of gymnastics. Assuming we avoid surgery until after summer on a partially torn ankle ligament (the doctor said we can hold off until she either gets worse or until she is bored of wearing the ankle brace), I want to get her to a summer camp. I just don't know the best way to look them up. She is interested in animals, plays piano (not sure she would feel comfortable if performance was required), and likes artsy stuff. A general camp will probably not work because of the injured ankle. Any site recommendations to get me started on this process? We live in the Southeast if you know of any location specific sites to search. TIA

It's really late in the game to be looking for summer camp in our area. We've had summer plans set for weeks now. However, I would just go with what her interests are - if she likes art, call a couple of museums or art schools and inquire about camp, for example. There is a private school near us that offers multiple camps on many different topics, all summer long. They have academic camps, athletic camps, drama camps, etc. - might a scenario like that be possible? Can she swim with her ankle issues? If so, even a summer YMCA membership might be good to have. They also usually have special summer programs. Just remember, every time you meet a dead end, such as when someone tells you their camp is full, ask them what else they know of in your area.

Is it safe for her to babysit? I mean, can she safely chase a toddler w/out further hurting her ankle? If so, a babysitting class might set her up to make some extra money this summer - she could be a mother's helper for a mom that has little kids home from school for the summer, for example.

Thanks for the suggestions. She is able to get around with her ankle in her ankle brace. We are hoping to see how she does in water in the next couple of weeks and potentially jump head first into summer swim league. She has another follow up before swim league starts up and we will ask the doctor's opinion then. My only concern is the amount of time she will have to be out of her brace around the pool. I will look around at a few of the day camp options nearby. I was really hoping to ship her off for a week or so to get her some space from her brothers.