Menu

RSO Bio 2 vs. Elemental Sci Bio (logic)

I'm considering both of these for next year and having trouble deciding between them. This would be for my DS, 7th and possibly DD, 5th grader (she may go to PS ;(

ES says it's for the 5th-6th grader, is that accurate? DS is well versed in the basics of life science and would likely be bored by something truly geared for a 5th grader. What I like about ES is the 2 day set up. The drawings are really nice. What I don't like about ES and do like about RSO is that with ES I would need to pull out multiple books where as RSO appears to be all-in-one. I realize not many will have used both programs so any help is appriciated.

So here are my questions:

1. How easy/doable are the experiments in RSO vs ES?

2. Would a typical 7th grader be bored or challenged by each program?

3. If I do include the 5th, is RSO to hard?

4. How much reading is required per week? DS is Dyslexic and a slow reader so I would probably need to read a lot of it out loud.

5. Is there a lot of "busy work" in one program versus the other?

6. What did you like/dislike about the curriculum?

7. Do you need the Teachers guide for RSO?

Thanks!

RSO- R.e.a.l. science odyssey

ES- elemental science

I took a look at the sample, not a try before you buy. They have 1 chapter from each section. I really like the look of it but I am concerned about spending that much money. We've used CTT Science up until now and while it's great, I feel the need for something a bit more structured in Science. If I could just buy the student ebook($68), I'd do it. But another $35 for the TE is putting it outside my range. I would need to purchase a decent microscope, lab supplies....

How about ES?

I took a look at the sample, not a try before you buy. They have 1 chapter from each section. I really like the look of it but I am concerned about spending that much money. We've used CTT Science up until now and while it's great, I feel the need for something a bit more structured in Science. If I could just buy the student ebook($68), I'd do it. But another $35 for the TE is putting it outside my range. I would need to purchase a decent microscope, lab supplies....

How about ES?

I just downloaded the Try before you buy (the link I posted), here is what it says it has:

Try it before you buy it!

This file contains a PDF preview of RSO Biology 2 Student Guide.

Included in this sample are seven chapters, one from each unit:

Unit I Organisms: Chapter 1- All Living Things

Unit II Cells: Chapter 2- Types

Unit III Genetics: Chapter 10- Your Inheritance

Unit IV Anatomy & Physiology: Chapter 13- Plant Reproduction

Unit V Evolution: Chapter 21- How

Unit VI Ecology: Chapter 25- Predator & Prey

Unit VII Classification: Chapter 31- Kingdom Anamalia

I haven't looked at the ES Bio - but if the info isn't in the file, Paige is awesome about answering questions on the Elemental Science Yahoogroup.

I would think that most bio curriculums at this point are going to require a microscope and more supplies, but then there should be options to view some of that online too. It will just depend on the course. BJUP Life Science had a lab CD/DVD i think, so there are options.

Right not a straight 3 week sample, it's a chapter from each section, even better IMO.

I want to buy a microscope, I want to go "all in". The problem is if it's to hard, or my DS finds it boring I might as well chuck it. And for over $100 plus the cost of printing, well thats kind of steep. I like that ES is only $26 comes with the TE and even if I spend a bunch more it's on books and supplies I'm okay with that.

Really what I need to know is if the TE of RSO is absolutly necessary? Also would my son who is easily bored and has had biology before be underwhelmed by ES Bio?