Menu

Resources for my mythology loving DS?

Samantheia

My son is really enjoying studying ancient history and mythology right now. He has done SOTW volume one, and most of the suggested reading. His favorites on this topic are D'aulaires' Book of Greek Myths, Marcia William's Greek Myths, Osborne's Tales from the Odyssey, Connolly's books on Ancient Greece, Jim Weiss' recordings on mythology and ancient history, the Percy Jackson series and the Kane Chronicles. What else could I give him?

Thanks!

Jean

I haven't seen these yet to say if they are any good, but some I have just requested from the library are:

Bright Eyed Athena by Woff

Hercules by McCaughrean (also Perseus and Odysseus by same author)

Wings by Yolen

Theseus and the Minotaur by Warwick

There's a Monster in the Alphabet by Rumford

Greek Myths by Coolidge

A few more:

Atlantis: the Legend of a Lost City by Balit

The Hero and the Minotaur by Byrd

Atlantis by Michael Martin

Pandora by Burleigh

Pegasus by Mayer

Shadow of the Minotaur by Gibbons (this may be too mature, but looks similar to a Percy Jackson type book)

You could try these - they might be too old or cover myths that he's already learned about:

http://www.theoi.com/

The McElderry Book of Greek Myths

Maybe even something like these (even if they do use an inordinant amount of slang and maybe aren't as educational as they could be): Mythlopedia, All in the Family: A Look-it-Up Guide to the In-laws, Outlaws, and Offspring of Mythology; What a Beast!: A Look-it-Up Guide to the Monsters and Mutants of Mythology; She's All That!: A Look-it-Up Guide to the Goddesses of Mythology);

Greek And Roman Mythology (Greek and Roman Mythology,3 vols total) http://www.amazon.co.../dp/9810522401/ - This is a manga style option. It appears tamer than the Graphic Myths & Legends Series - however, there were no previews available on any site when I looked at it and my library hasn't gotten it in stock.

Atticus the Storyteller's 100 Greek Myths by Lucy Coats - contains most of the best stories toned down quite a bit with fun illustrations, it is not encyclopedic in nature and sorts information in story format similar to the 1001 Arabian Tales --- not by god/goddess

Shapeshifters: Tales from Ovid's Metamorphoses - illustrated by alan lee (I liked his illustrations better in this than in the sutcliffe books)

There are also comic book style-ish books about the trojan war, but again these might be too old for your son:

The Trojan Horse: The Fall of Troy (Graphic Myths & Legends) - this is a comic book

The Wrath of Achilles: Follow Your Fate (A Choose your own adventure type book - the others in the series are Journey of Odysseus and Exile of Aeneas)

There are some good resources for non-greek / roman pantheons out there too. Is he just interested in sticking with the Greeks/Romans?

I don't have any links for you, but I was stumbling around on amazon the other day looking for Greek mythological figures and there seem to be some fun games that involve the Greek Gods. The modified version of Risk seemed especially intriguing to me.

Thank you for all the great suggestions. He loves stories of all kinds (for example, he loves "Arabian Nights" by Tarnowska), but seems most interested in greek and roman mythology right now. I'd love to hear about the other resources (not greek and roman) too.