Menu

What is Five In A Row?

lgliser

In my opinion it is one of the best studies out there. We have almost finished vol 4 and we are doing Beyond FIAR (BYFIAR) (for older kids) and loving it as well.

Make sure you down load the FREE -complete- unit on Ping and give it a try. You can find it at the link 1pageatatime provided.

FIAR is a literature unit study program for 4-7yos. There is also Before Five in a Row for 2-4yos, and Beyond for 7+, but I have never used those. We use FIAR here and LOVE it. Each unit is stand-alone, so you can do them in any order, and covers five different subjects from one story book. The manuals give suggestions for what topics you can discuss or activities you can do for each of the following five subjects: social studies, language arts, applied math, art, and science. The idea is that you'll pick a book per week, read the story every day, Five (days) in a Row, and then do one subject.

The manual may offer anywhere from 1-5 ideas for each subject, so you can choose the one that interests you and your children the most. Some activities are more suited for the younger end of the age range (4-5yos), some for the older end (6-7yos). Some people, like me, work mostly from the manual. Others rely heavily on lapbooking (there are some good free resources for FIAR lapbooks) or additional ideas from pinterest, blogs, and the like.

We keep our "rows" pretty simple, but we find they are plenty! I blog about our adventures in FIAR if you wanted to see how it looks for our family. It's a program that is flexible enough that it can look really different from one family to another. http://lookwhaterinm...arch/label/FIAR

We do phonics, handwriting, and math separately, and then FIAR for "all the rest". It works so well for us!

editing to add: I see that you have triplets that you're bringing home next year. My own kids are "Irish triplets"--a singleton followed less than 12mos later by twins. FIAR is AWESOME for doing all the fun stuff together as a little group. Really, we have a great time. I think you could add math, reading, and handwriting to FIAR for a wonderful first year at home with your kids!

I just want to clarify the age ranges....

Before Five in a Row is appropriate for two-four year olds. (Preschool)

Five In A Row is appropriate for five-ten year olds. (K-4th gr)

Beyond Five In A Row is appropriate for ages 9-13 year olds. (4th-8th gr)

HTH! :)

Their website says 2-4 for Before, 4-8 for FIAR, and 8-12 for Beyond. I did shoot a little low in my age groups off the top of my head. That's probably because I can't imagine doing FIAR with 8yos. I tend to think it's absolutely perfect for PK, K, and 1st, but struggle to see it being "enough" beyond that. I know many disagree and continue to use and love it, though!

I use FIAR for my 2nd grader and it is great. It is what you do with it though. Also most people have never looked at vol 4. That one is much more complicated than vol 1-3. It requires more mature minds than 1-3. The lessons, the books and the time spent are all for older children. For instance, I can't see a K-er grasping radio waves. I also use Beyond for my not quite 3rd grader (she turns 8 in 2 months) and it is working well. I know many who use vols 1-3 for up to 4th grade. But again it is what you do with it.

I have never seen volume 4. I have it mentally penciled in for 2nd grade here. Or we may move on from FIAR altogether and start a four year history cycle. I'd love a peek at volume 4, but you're right--of all the people I know who use (or have used) FIAR, I know no one who has used vol. 4.

I have never seen volume 4. I have it mentally penciled in for 2nd grade here. Or we may move on from FIAR altogether and start a four year history cycle. I'd love a peek at volume 4, but you're right--of all the people I know who use (or have used) FIAR, I know no one who has used vol. 4.

We loved volume 4! :thumbup: I *almost* didn't do it because I was ready to move on and knew I didn't want to use Beyond or Above and Beyond. But I am so glad I tried it as I think it provided a smooth transition to Sonlight. I will say I did have a harder time getting use to the longer lessons, but that was short lived and I got over it. :D