Menu

Help with HOD placement

bethanyjoy

I will have a second grader and Kindergartener in the fall. They will be turning 7 in September and 5 in October. I am going to get Beyond for my second grader, but I'm struggling with placement for my Kindergartener. She is still learning her letters and numbers so skill-wise I don't think they will be able to combine. My almost 5-year-old is on the younger side so I definately don't want her to get to the higher level HOD guides too early. I've been considering two options and would like your opinion on what you think would be best:

1. Use Little Hearts for my Kindergartener, but stretching it over two years (Kindergarten and first grade). Maybe stretching it by only doing it 2 or 3 days a week? I would use AAR for phonics everyday.

or

2. Use MFW K for Kindergarten and then use Little Hearts for first grade. I would use MFW's phonics and then use the appropriate AAR level when switching to HOD.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

Bethany

;) I think you should do whatever you want to...

You may be bored out of your mind taking two years to finish Little Hearts. Personally, I'd go insane. :) No fun dragging out Thornton Burgess.... I'd wait on Little Hearts until the next year when she is 6 or perhaps evaluate in the new year. Six months makes a big difference developmentally.

What do you want to do? Little Hands is a very sweet guide. Have you considered it for her K year? Super easy to do alongside AAR and much less teacher prep than MFW K. I personally think Little Hearts is tough to fit just right with some kids..... The activities are young while some of the readings are advanced. This is why I think age 6 is better for it. Little Hands is enough for a 5 year old if you want something for her and has options to use for a K'er.

:)

I am finishing this same year - a K & 2nd grader. If I could have a "do-over", I would have done your exact #2 - MFW with my dd in K, Little Hearts in 1st. They are in Little Hearts & Bigger right now and I really wish I had used them for 1st & 3rd instead of K & 2nd. Lucky for me, we are super behind in both guides due to moving mid-year, so they will be doing half of each of those guides next year.

I like Little Hands okay enough; I did like it for preschool, it wouldn't have been a good fit for K this year.

I'd intended to do MFW with my 5yods this year but ended up back with just Phonics Pathways, Explode the Code and Singapore Essentials Kindergarten A and B and it's been a great fit for him. We just a few weeks ago began working LHFHG into our schedule with him and he loves it. This is the second kid that I ended up starting LHFHG in the Spring of their 5 yo school year (I wasn't required to notify for either in the year they started so I didn't really call it "K" for either). It seems like just the phonics and math is great for my kids as they ease into school and then LHFHG is a great fit just when they are ready for a bit more.

We only school 4 days a week so I aim to finish LHFHG, Beyond and Bigger by the beginning of their fourth grade year because I love the Preparing guide for fourth grade.

I've tried to use LHTH a few times over the years and it just wasn't a good fit for our family.

I tried with 2 different kiddos to do LHTH and LHFHG. Just not a good fit with my kids I guess, b/c I got through less than half of each and gave up. Great programs, just didn't work for us. Perhaps it was b/c I just didn't devote the time to it that I wanted to, perhaps it was just the wrong timing with my kids. Who knows. I love MFW K and am doing that with my ds4 (almost 5) right now. We are speeding it up a bit b/c he already knows his letters and numbers, can add and subtract and is reading short words. BUT...I just love the program so much that I want to do it all the way through, lol. He's my last baby. :( We are moving on to FIAR next b/c I have the books and again...he's my last baby. :( I don't want to start Beyond until 2nd so that the Guides line up for him. All that to say...I like your #2! ;)

I think Beyond is a wonderful option for your older child who will be turning 7 this fall! We're doing Beyond now, and it's lovely!

However, for your younger daughter, if she is still learning her letters and numbers, I wouldn't go with LHFHG. I'd go with LHTH. For my almost 5 year old, we're doing LHTH and it's wonderful! We're also doing Get Ready, Get set, Go for the Code (Explode the Code books A,B & C) which are a great opportunity to learn phonics, and proper formation of letters. I have also started A Reason for Handwriting A. Both are very gentle approaches and don't take very much time!

I love the layout of LHTH, my daughter absolutely loves the rhymes, the Singing Bible, and her Bible stories. The arts and craft activities, number pages, and count on me pages are super fun! You can also either copy (out of the guide), or download on the HOD group the Hide and Seek ABC's pages, which teaches letter recognition!

I don't know much about MFW K, but LHTH is for your daughters age range, and it is such a joyous little curriculum!