Menu

Good ancient books for "light" summer schooling

So, the other day Indy tells me that he thinks we should do some school during the summer. I was like :eek: He said he gets bored during the summer and really needs to keep up on his Greek and Latin or he'll forget it. I agreed and he told me he'd also like to do some more ancient history study, since he loves it so much. We did ancients this year, but he just wants more. I have the Dorothy Mills book and we can read from that, but I'm looking for more resources that aren't dry and aren't too full of just drawings and whatnot. I don't want them to be light and fluffy (we've got tons of those!), but I don't want it to be a slog either. What would you suggest? The more the merrier!

You read Caesar's Gallic War with HO 2, right? What about setting him the beginning of the Gallic War in Latin? Or for an easier option getting the Latin For Children C history reader volume with all the translation practice from Classical Academic Press. Similarly for Greek he could try the reader from JACT Reading Greek.

For secondary reading, have you looked at Tools of the Ancient Greeks/Tools of the Ancient Romans? I thought these books were at a good level for fifth grade, and liked the science/engineering chapters. My dds enjoyed some of the projects too.

HTH!

Off of the top of my head (and not knowing what you have already read) here is a quick brainstorm of fiction and non-fiction...

Eagle of the Ninth

The Bronze Bow

Encyclopedia of The Ancient World

Kingfisher History Enc.

Oxford University Press Ancients series (these can be pricey, but you can often find them on used book sites)

Henty (The Young Carthaginian, For the Temple, Beric the Briton)

Augustus Caesar's World

God King

Hittite Warrior

The Story of the Romans

the Story of the Greeks

The "You Wouldn't Want to Be a ..." Series

Twice Freed

Ancient Science

Archimedes and the Door of Science

Some of these are lighter than others, but since it was summer reading...

Hope it helps! H