Menu

What are some good poems to memorize for 5-6 grade? And how long to memorize them?

I'm not sure what a good length would be for that age, or how long to expect it should take to memorize. I don't want it to be too overwhelming, and I would like to have a nice mix of types over the course of the year.

We have not done any memory work for a few yrs and I want to get back to it. Thanks.

All three of my big kids learned Carl Sandburg's "Fog." It is very short, but they really enjoyed it.

It's not poetry, but last year, the older two learned large portions of the Gettysburg Address, and the year before that, the Preamble to the Constitution. Mostly we use Bible verses for memory work, though.

One of my boys' favorite is "'Twas the Night Before Christmas." We took about 4 weeks to memorize it (basically from Thanksgiving until Christmas) and they "performed" it for family. My older two (6th and 4th) just memorized "America for Me" by Henry Van Dyke. It should only have taken us about 3 weeks, but I got a bit inconsistent for a couple weeks there, so we worked on it for about six. They just started "O Captain, My Captain," which I figure will about two weeks. I'm trying to find poems that are at least 3-4 stanzas long and a bit more substantial than what they have done in the past (a lot of Robert Louis Stevenson). And like happypamama above, I plan on having them learn non-poem pieces like the Preamble (and we do Bible verses for memory work as well).