Menu

If you are going to use K12 for Middle Ages...

I have a few questions. This has been our first year to do history the WTM way, and we've enjoyed it very much. I decided to use the K12 HO books as a spine for my oldest but planned to spread them out over four years to keep all three of my girls studying the same era (my other two use SOTW). This year, we've done ancients. Just because I could not get TOG off my mind, I decided to purchase the last unit of year 4 to finish out our year and see how we like it. We do like it very much as well. Right now I'm torn between continuing TOG for Middle Ages or going back to history and lit the WTM way. I won't get in to all that because it's a whole 'nother post, and my question is really about K12 HO. ;)

If you are planning to use K12 over four years, what are you planning to supplement with, spine wise? There just isn't a lot of info on the middle ages in HO. I've looked at SWB's recs in the WTM book. I have also looked at Dorothy Mills's history books. Because I have a rising 8th grader, it's tricky. This will actually be her first year doing the Middle Ages, and I want it to be meaty. She's looking forward to it very much, and so am I. There is just soooooo much to study!!

Any ideas are helpful!!

Forgive typos and grammatical errors please. Typing on phone, very sleep-deprived.

Blessings

Nakia

I haven't seen this one mentioned yet: I'm thinking about adding The Story of the Middle Ages by Suzanne Strauss Art. It was written for middle schoolers.

Here are some additional links: http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/012617/05cd334aba79e61506064c07

and

http://www.exodusbooks.com/author.aspx?id=3251 (the best place to view samples of her various books, though not all have them, but to give you an idea)

And the description from Rainbow Resource:

"This series provides a very thorough, detailed study of several different past civilizations. Each book has three units (several chapters each) and reviews the civilization chronologically. The books not only cover general information about food, religion, trade, education, art, and government, but also specific details of wars, time periods, events, and famous people. The books are formatted and read like history textbooks and can actually be used for a year’s worth of study or for unit studies. There are review questions after each chapter to make sure students are catching important details. There is no answer key in the books for these questions, but the answers can easily be found in the text. There are a dozen or so short answer questions, and then there are several deep thinking questions for every chapter, which encourage students to develop their opinions or critical thinking. A few project ideas are also included after each chapter, which prompt students to draw maps or timelines, write essays, and read recommended books that correlate with the chapter. Each book includes black and white maps, diagrams, drawings, and photographs, as well as a timeline of important events in each civilization. An index and pronunciation guide are included, along with the complete list of recommended supplementary readings."