Menu

IEW users...I have a question for you

I want to start using IEW with my kids this year, but my budget doesn't allow for TWSS and I haven't been able to find anyone in my are that I can borrow it from. So...my question is, if I start using SWI C with my highschool girls, do you think I would be familiar enough with it to begin the themed Ancient writing book with my 8th & 5th graders in the fall? I know, I could use SWI B for them, but I really like what I see in the Ancient history book. Another thing drawing me to it is that we will be studying Ancient history next year, and my 8th grade ds is pretty excited about it. He is also my reluctant writer, so I was thinking that if his writing lessons were based on a topic that really interested him, he might be a little bit more cooperative when it comes to writing. We did use SWI B for a couple months a couple years ago, so I have already had some exposure to the IEW technique...so, what do you think? Is it doable?

I know this may not be the popular option, but we are doing ATFF without TWSS and it is going just fine. If I have questions I either watch the webinar on the particular unit we are on or I look in the files on the Yahoo group. If The Ancient book is written by Lori V. then you should be fine- her books are very teacher friendly.

I'm listening to this too. I've purchased SWI-B for my 6th/8th graders but I wanted to try ATFF with my 4th grade DS. My plan is to watch the overview DVD that came with SWI -B and see if I feel confident enough to try it. I do have a background with professional writing but not necessarily the IEW style.

My opinion is that if you watch one of the SWI programs you will be fine. It would be better if you could watch TWSS but I think your children will still benefit greatly from IEW. Just be sure that YOU watch SWI so you see Mr. Pudewa's methods and understand the program!

I did SWI B with my boys. No TWSS. It went very well.

No doubt the TWSS would have provided excellent information, but I did not seem to miss it.

I did watch the SWI B video lessons with the boys and also read the lessons thoroughly so I knew what I was doing. We had a great year of writing!

This year, we went on to one of the theme-based units, and still no TWSS. We are having another great year, and I find the teacher guides to be thorough and teacher-friendly.